Filter help ASAP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetra1990

Aquarium Advice Addict
My morning routine before I leave for work is to turn on the lights and do a head count and quick equipment check. Well this morning I walked into a dead filter on the 29 gallon!! I was heading out the door, so I really couldn't pull it apart and find what was wrong. I'm home from work now and it appears the motor has burned up. So later I'm off to get a new filter, any suggestions on a good type/brand? The old one was an Aqueon power flow 50 hob. I'm willing to spend up to $100 for a quality filter. Thank you.

I would consider an aquaclear 70 to be one of the better HoB filters out there. Unless you are ready to commit to a canister.

Before you spend the money on a new one check the impeller on your aqueon. I've never had a problem with the smaller ones but the larger one I had would always get the impeller stuck somehow, all it took was a little shake under water to loosen it up and then it worked like new again.
If you're wanting a new filter though, I strongly recommend the new fluval C series filters. I have the c3 on a 20 gallon long and I'm in love with it. It has a 5 stage filtration system so the BB are found on several different surfaces so I never have to worry about changing the filter pad and losing BB and because you have so many stages you can easily change media to fit your needs. It also has an adjustable flow if you need it. Although I will say, you might go though foam polishing pads quicker than some filters but that's just because it does such a great job keeping the water pristine. I'm fairly certain the C series is fluvals upgrade to the aquaclear series.

Update: just finished with a 30% water change, I've got the media in tank water and nobody has died,yet. And the motor burned up for sure, you can smell it. What a day!!

New filter installed! I picked up a Marineland® Penguin® Bio-Wheel Aquarium Power Filter 200. My harlequin Rasboras are at the surface of the water:/ all of my other fish don't seem too worried. Added my old media to the filter, so hopefully it's all good. I'll update in the morning.

This morning I awoke to everyone still alive! But the filter is a monster, the intake tube reaches almost to the tank floor and creates a sandstorm. Also, the flow reaches from the back to the front of the entire tank. I may return it for a smaller model, not sure yet.

I love the biowheel penguin filters I run penguin 350 series and theses things are powerful, great, and super cheap the store near me sells the 350's for $37

I also run 2 penguin 350's on a 46g bf and a 20g. Love them! You can always take a utility knife and cut the tube down. And you can also make some sort of diffuser for the water flow if need be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom