Filter help for Mbuna tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Colwell

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm just wondering what kind of filter I should get for my 55gal Mbuna tank I'm not sure of the model of filter that is in there now but in know that it filters 300pgh. I have two Hydor 425gph powerheads on the way was thinking of getting a Fluval 305 to help out. Suggestions and comments please and thank you!

Do you think a Fluval 305 will be ok to go along with my hob?

Crawdaddy said:
I have the 306, and it is great.

I think I'm ordering the Fluval 306 anything I should get to go along with it such as media or replacement parts ?

Mine came pretty much with everything I needed. It does come with charcoal, and a lot of people here recommend against using it. So if you want something different for that tray, you can order that.

I use fluval 305's on all my 55gal tanks (10 of them). I use the media that comes with it, minus the charcoal, plus some crushed coral.

mattrox said:
I use fluval 305's on all my 55gal tanks (10 of them). I use the media that comes with it, minus the charcoal, plus some crushed coral.

Was just looking into maybe some ammonia remover I won't be using the charcoal should I just get more bio media ?

You won't need it because your tank will cycle. After the cycle is complete there shouldn't be ammonia issues.

And if there are, large pwcs are the best course of action until the levels of ammonia return to normal.

mattrox said:
You won't need it because your tank will cycle. After the cycle is complete there shouldn't be ammonia issues.

And if there are, large pwcs are the best course of action until the levels of ammonia return to normal.

No the levels are just fine just don't really know what else to get for extra media since I won't be using the charcoal

Back
Top Bottom