Filter help needed!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super_vet_tech

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey y'all- new here. Have a serious problem with my filter (again!)
I have a 20 gal planted freshwater tank. I just bought a Fluval 50 YESTERDAY. It has already stopped flowing. I've already been thru 2 Aqueon 50's for the SAME issue. There does not appear to be anything clogging it- the uptake tube is free of any objects. It is just not pulling water up. It is definitely getting power - and since I don't know at what point it stopped, I hope it didn't screw up the motor (the motor is still running, so hopefully not) I currently have it unplugged (for obvious reasons). Once I get home, I suppose I will take it apart and check the impeller. I just DON'T understand why I keep having the SAME **** issue!! Help please!!!

Nope - my water level is only about 1" below top of tank. This is an over the tank filter fyi

The impeller is not visible when running. The pump was quiet but flowing. I even watched it for a few minutes and it was fine. So I really have no idea what/when anything went wrong with it

If you remove the intake tube, the impeller should be visible. Nonetheless, if it is running you will definitely hear it.

Are you sure your intake tube is fully seated in the notch atop the motor inside the filter? If it gets bumped up a bit, it might lose the prime.

Secondly, the impeller may have broken and not spinning properly. When I am reassembling after cleaning, I always fill filter with tap water and plug it in just to make sure the impeller is running right. Just for 5-10 seconds.

Do you have snails in your tank? Even the littlest ramshorn or pond snail can wreck havoc on impellers.

Check the intake tube for cracks, and as stated above check that the unit is seated properly. Also prime your filter with dechlorinated water before starting them up. If they self prime or not it helps motor life immensely.

Back
Top Bottom