Filter help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gazelle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey folks

I was recently given a Fluval 304 canister filter. Currently my FW tanks has a standard Whisper top mount filter. I have had the tank going for 5 years with little problems. I would like to switch over to the canister filter since it is quieter and I have my tank in my office.

I only want to run the new canister but since it is new there is not any bacteria in the new filter.

I figure I have three options

1) run both filters for a while (not sure how long) so the bacteria can transfer to the new filter.
2) simply connect new filter and remove old immediately (possibly the bacteria needed is in the water and will colinate the new filter quickly?)
3) put some of the filter media from the old filter in the new filter and only run the new filter.

what is my safest option? I have had all the fish for 5 years and grew my large angels from nickle size to full adult so I would hate to make a mistake and kill them at this stage.

Thanks Gazelle

I changed from a HOB to a canister months ago. I personally ran both for around a month. Then just to be safe I put part of the filter bag from my HOB in the canister. However i'm not sure if it was entirely needed. I never noticed any ammonia spikes during water testing.

that is what I was thinking of doing but to be honest I was hoping to take the top mount off earlier. I cleaned it the other day and since then the impeller is making a lot of noise for some reason. I guess all that gunk in there was serving as a nice insulator to keep the impeller from vibrating :)

Back
Top Bottom