filter help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robo-snickers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm going to be getting a 72G bowfront tank sometime around Dec and im wondering what kind of filters would you get for it?

I have a marineland penguin 350 already for my 29G (filter is rated for 70G tank) and I plan on using this filter to atleast seed the new tank. my options are to either maybe add another marineland penguin filter to double the filtration, buy a canister (never owned one) or maybe a sump (not to sure how they work). any ideas? the marineland idea I think will be the cheapest route. I also plan on having alot of plants for this tanks.

Since youre planning on keeping plants, will you be using injected CO2? If so, then the surface agitation caused by two HOB filters might work against you.
I think the Marineland 350's are rated for up to 75 gallons, so one might be enough anyways. You could always add a power head if you wanted some extra circulation.

If you want more filtration and are looking to save some money, then either a SunSun or Aquatop canister filter might be something to look into.

Since youre planning on keeping plants, will you be using injected CO2? If so, then the surface agitation caused by two HOB filters might work against you.
I think the Marineland 350's are rated for up to 75 gallons, so one might be enough anyways. You could always add a power head if you wanted some extra circulation.

If you want more filtration and are looking to save some money, then either a SunSun or Aquatop canister filter might be something to look into.

No I dont plan on using CO2, I use excel once and awhile but havent for a while. the reason I would want two marneland 350 filters is because I was always told its smart to have twice as much filter capacity then your actual tank size. I will look into both filters that you and dcutl002 mentioned.

I like to try to flip (filter the whole thing)my tank over 5 times an hour just to give it a little extra filtration. Use a filter where your tank is on the low end of it's range instead of the top just to play it safe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom