filter is leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strokinbyeu

Aquarium Advice Freak
got a big prob my fluval 405 is leaking. i just got done with a pwc, i cleaned the filter media and after i put the top back on and clamped it down i have water running out of the filter between the lid and the canister. the clamps dont seem to have any tention on them(used to be hard to clamp down), could the oring have takin a crap or am i mising somthing simple? also if it takes a day or two to get new parts willmy tank b ok along with the bacteria in the filter?

got a big prob my fluval 405 is leaking. i just got done with a pwc, i cleaned the filter media and after i put the top back on and clamped it down i have water running out of the filter between the lid and the canister. the clamps dont seem to have any tention on them(used to be hard to clamp down), could the oring have takin a crap or am i mising somthing simple? also if it takes a day or two to get new parts willmy tank b ok along with the bacteria in the filter?

I would say the o-ring, did you let it dry out by any chance? I put vaseline on the o-ring every maintenance because unfortunately its a bit of a known problem :( I would try the vaseline first to lubricate it, if that fails try a new o-ring.

Just put it in a bucket for now so the leak does not go everywhere and run it if the leak is not to bad. If you can't I think your bacteria would be fine for a day or two

as long as you have it in water it will be OK. You can also run it in the bucket for small intervals of time.

ok thank you for the info im on the phone with jacks at the moment 2 c if they have the oring again thanks for the info

yea u would think a fish store would have some things on hand but nope. why would they have parts for somthing they sell

Have you checked the O-ring? It is possible for them to pop out and get out of the groove. I would make sure its seated properly before going through the hassle of ordering one. Also, if it is indeed a bad o-ring, check your local hardware stores. I'm not 100% sure, but most carry o-rings, and probably have something that would work.

the oring isnt cracked or broken but it does fit loose around the motor housing. the water runs out between the canister and the motor housing. i tryed to take it apart and reasemble it but same thing. i havent tryed vasalin yet bc i cant find any. i have a new oring coming but it will be a few more days till it comes in so i thing im gona have to put the filter in a bucket and run it for a lil while to help move some fresh water into the canister.

ok so with fears that my filter would die i put it in a bucket and was gona run it for a few mins tillthe bucket filled up with water. well after 12hours bucket is still dry,

could the oring have fixed it self while the filter was turned off? or am i just getting lucky for the time being?

it ran from about 5pm last nite till 8am today. im gona unplug it and close the valve while im gone to be sure it dosnt sring a leak again.

I don't know about 'fixed itself' so much, but the lack of pressure from moving water could have allowed the seal to settle back into place. But I wouldn't be too confident about it just yet.

Personally I don't have a lot of faith in thinks not leaking, which is why my canister was at least in a bucket, and now I've got it in a big plastic storage bin, capable of holding around half the volume of the entire tank should the filter decide to leak! (Ideally I'd like it to hold the entire volume of the tank but I think maybe that would be overkill!)

In lieu of vaseline, I use olive oil on my seals. I lightly wipe down the o-ring with the olive oil and that takes care of the problem. I had the same problem as you once on my 305, and the olive oil fixes it. No petroleum in it and it is high in omega 3's. Also, I use extra virgin olive oil... ;-)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom