filter peat moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_newbie

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have hard water and im planning to get some rams ..i heard that filter peat can make water softer so im gonna have to know about it if imma use it ...hmmm 1st is it ok if i use it in an AC mini filter? how much do i need to put? does it have to be replaced monthly? anything else that i need to know?

thanks! :D

First be sure the rams you are getting are not tank raised in the same water that you have coming out of the tap - my favorite LFS has some rams that are locally bred so they are much better suited for me and my hard water, since I have had rotten luck with the imported ones.

If they are being kept in soft, acidic water at the LFS then you might try peat but it depends on how far from ideal your water is, since it is not going to make a drastic difference, AFAIK. What are your water values, in terms of pH, GH and KH?

The very best way to lower pH is through the use of CO2 injection, but that is a whole 'nother can o' worms!

Back
Top Bottom