filter problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slroo

Aquarium Advice Regular
My filter keeps backing up and spilling dirty water back into the tank from the spot where the intake tube goes in. I have changed the filter pads (thinking they were worn out) and dumped the water out of the filter ( to see if there was any large gunk in there-- there wasn't) It was fine for one day, and then started spilling out dirty water again. AAARGH! I'm not overfeeding-- does anyone know what could be causing this?

What kind of filter is it (brand)? How old is it? Have you completely disassembled it and done a thorough cleaning? Does it make any abnormal noises?

It is a Top Fin (came with tank set-up). I got iit nine months ago, and it doesn't make any abnormal noises. Not sure what you mean by completely disassembling it- I have taken the intake tube out and it was not clogged, emptied the water out of the chambers, and they weren't clogged either. It's almost as if the filter pads themselves are not allowing water to pass through, but they are new and there is no carbon to impede the water flow.

The only thing I can think of is that the new filter pads may be defective. If there's no other clog, you would think that has to be it.

tank water level has nothing to do with it. Clean the inside of the filter, including impeller chamber and impeller

Back
Top Bottom