Filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallenRedeemer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a quick question about the filters I have on my tank. Within 2-3 days of putting in new filter cartridges it starts flowing through the overflow already. I was wondering why this is happening. It's a 55 gallon tank with 2 marineland 50 gallon hob filters.

How many fish and what kind ? clogging like that is usually from a lot of heavy particle dirt building up. I never use cartridges, I put in sponge and floss and sometimes ceramic media, and fit them in however I can. Cheaper, works better, lasts longer. Floss is easy to clean, sponge lasts almost forever, as does ceramic.

Cut a x in the filter cartridge and remove most of the carbon, and don't over feed so the food clogs the cartridges. I would probably upgrade the filters to. Depending on your stock in the tank the filters may be to small.

I haven't been over feeding them. Only feed once a day and the finish it all within a couple min. It's a 55 gallon tank and both filters are rated for 50 gallons so I have double what I need for filtration. I am having issues with high nitrates right now if that would have anything to do with it. Stock is 2 angelfish 1 bala 3 denisons barb 1 pictus 2 stripe Raphael catfish and 2 bristlenose Plecos.

Yes, the carbon is not needed in most instances, and doesn't grow bacteria as sponge or other media can. Wasted space.
Overfeeding would certainly clog up any filter media quickly, if that is what is happening, but that does not sound likely. But catfish are pretty dirty fish, worse than goldfish, some say. Even so, they should not be clogging the filter that fast.
I'd get rid of the cartridges and just use plain media, sponge cut to fit, floss, maybe some ceramic in a mesh bag if it will fit.

Edit.. high nitrates won't clog your filter, but a clogged filter may be the cause of high nitrates. Even though the filters are rated for 50G, they may not be very efficient, possibly. What model filters are they ?

If the cartridges are clogging that quickly, perhaps there is too much suspended waste in the water.
How often are water changes performed? How much (gallons/liters) each time? Are you also performing gravel vacuuming on a regular basis?

Not one I have any experience with, sadly. I'm an Aquaclear user all the way. Still, filters should not be clogging with such short use. I would remove the carbon at least. You might try a prefilter on the intake tubes. Sponge works well. You can even wrap the formed water polish pads around the intakes.. they're just filter floss that's been compressed a bit and formed into a sheet with bonded surfaces. Easy to cut and wrap around the intake. Fasten with a plant weight, rubber band, fish line, whatever you have. They will need rinsing often, but should help prevent the clogging up.
If all else fails, you might want to try getting an Aquaclear model to replace one of the Biowheel ones. They are very efficient and often are available used at less cost.

I've been doing a weekly water change. Not sure how much. Probably need to do a bigger change. And the carbon is not part of the problem. The carbon is behind the floss part the blocks the particles and that's the part that is getting clogged. I will be doing a water change today and will get a pic of the filters

Here is a pic of the filter cartridge and the filter with it in

Attachments

• image-3900715146.jpg
    image-3900715146.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 46
  • image-1285453310.jpg
    image-1285453310.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 37
If you were to replace those cartridges with some sponge cut to fit the space, and used loose filter floss on top, I think you'd solve the problem. The material that encloses those cartridges is the same as filter floss, only bonded together with heat, which makes it more likely to clog, and it's very thin, so it can only grab so much before it clogs.

Sponge lasts darn near forever, just squeeze it out in tank water, floss lasts months before it falls to raggedy bits that need replacing. I sometimes wrap floss in some plastic net, which I get from taking apart a new, cheap bath scrubbie.. the soft ones that make a lot of lather, they're made of lengths of soft plastic net.

Try it, I think you'll be much happier with the results using separate media than those cartridges. Don't need carbon, but it can always be added in a mesh bag if needed, and ceramic media can also be added in a mesh bag if there is room for it, as more bio media. But sponge alone is excellent bio media.

Back
Top Bottom