Filter Related Qs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chainsaw4130

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi - How quickly things change...Two months ago I purchased a 15g setup. A couple of weeks later a friend of a friend was moving and gave us their 29g tank with sand substrate, plants, and fish. I moved the fish and plants from my 15g into the 29g as we really have only one good location for a tank right now. The tank has been up and running at my house for a month and a half. It is fully cycled, am is 0, nitrite is 0, and nitrates are ~10ppm.

There are currently two AC 30s running in either corner with 3 filter tube extensions.

My questions -

1) I have "particles" floating around the top 1/2 of the tank. The lower 1/2 is clean of free floating debris and looks good. I added filter floss to the two AC's and it has not gotten much better. Should I eliminate one or two of the filter tubes to raise the intake? Any other ideas?

2) I want to upgrade to a canister filter. I have decided on Eheim. Since Eheim's seem to run forever I want to buy a larger filter to account for any future increases in tank size. Would a 2217 be overkill on my 29g?

Thanks.

I don't think that a 2217 would be overkill on a 29g. I currently run 2x 2217s on a 75g, and it's definitely not too much. With the spraybar, you can direct the outflow pretty easily, and you could always do a little bit of throttling with the quick connect ball valves.

Filtration overkill practically does not exist. On my 27g tank, lightly stocked I might add, has a 153GPH HOB filter, and a 528GPH Canister filter.. If 691GPH on a 27g tank isn't overkill, I'm not sure what is. That's over 20x turnover every hour. I love my crystal clear water and healthy fish though... It looks like they are floating in the water it's so clear. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Back
Top Bottom