Filtering for 30 gal Goldfish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reeb666

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Aqueon QuietFlow 30 (for 30-45 gal) filter isn't keeping up with my two comet goldfish (in a 30 gallon tank). I am looking at getting an Aqua Clear filter. Should I get the 200 gph one for aquariums up to 50 gallons, or the 300 gph one for tanks up to 70 gallons? I'm not sure if flow of the 70 gallon one will be too much, but it would be nice to have that much filtration. I'm also worried about leaking and start up. Apparently if the power goes out it will run the motor too hard with no water and it will stop working, is there an electrical extension that will prevent it from turning on after a power failure?

summary:
50 or 70 gallon Aquaclear for 30 gallon goldfish tank?
Are Aqua Clears prone to leaking?
Can I prevent an Aqua Clear from trying to run dry after a power outage?

You should get at least one more filter for the tank. Not just one filter on the tank. If one filter goes out, you are dead in the water (pun intended).

I don't have any experience with ACs.

And you should consider rehoming your comets. A 30 gallon isn't large enough for them. Two fancies would probably be fine there.

I've been looking to re-home them, but can't find anyone who'll take them. I've also heard an alarming number of stories of goldfish who died promptly after being switched from a tank to a pond. They are still little, 3 and 4 inches. I'm working on finding them a 55 gallon, but can't afford one at the moment.

Hi

I have four Comet goldfish. I upgraded to a 120 gallon in January. Look on Craigslist for a 55-gallon or Petco has a $1 gallon sale occasionally. If you upgrade to a 55-gallon that would be ok for two comets.

You may also want to consider using a canister filter once you get the 55

But using HOB you should do 10x the tank volume in filtration. So for a 30 you should be filtering at 300 gph.

awesome thank you :) Even with a $1 per gallon sale, there is the hood, stand, and extra gravel to consider. In an ideal world I'd have two HOB's, or a canister, but a solitary 300 gph HOB will have to do for now.

Well they have the 55 gallon kits that come with all that. I got mine new for around $164 or so. But you can find all that for less on Craigslist.

That's strange that your Aqueon 30 wasn't keeping up with the needs of your tank and goldies -- just before I moved my four fancies to a 60 gallon, just this past week, I had them in a 10 gallon running with a QuietFlow 20 and for almost a year it kept that tank pretty darn clean considering the bioload. Of course, I WAS doing DAILY 50% water changes on this tank because of the severe overstocking, but...:hide:

Back
Top Bottom