Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dana180

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my tank set up for almost a month and doing a fish in cycle. My local fish store recommends changing the charcol monthly and the sponge every other month. I am doing twice a week 40-50% pwc. Whoever invented the python system is a genius!!! But I digress. How often do you change filters and why. What does the charcol actually do beside create an environment for additional bacteria? I'm starting to have some algae in my tank.

I can't wait until I have more experience under my belt to actually help someone else here! Everyone here is so helpful. Thank you to all for all your help.

I'm trying to attach a picture. Let me know if this shows up.

image-3506523256.jpg

Thank you!

Attachments

• image-2698388533.jpg
    image-2698388533.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 66
The picture showed up and looks great! The primary purpose for charcoal is made to clear impurities in the water. I think it works great for about a week and that's it. I use an aquaclear filter And I tried the charcoal for a while I liked it but like I said I don't think it works for that long. I use two sponges instead of the charcoal and I love it so much better.

But I digress. How often do you change filters and why. What does the charcol actually do beside create an environment for additional bacteria?

When the filter cartridge / media is literally falling apart. Do not change it monthly ... you'll just end up throwing away valuable BB. Rinse with tank water if the cartridge is dirty.

Charcoal is next to useless for most established aquariums. It's fine for getting rid of meds, or for neutralizing strong fish smelling tanks (proper PWC's should take of that). Many members remove charcoal from filters media and replace it with ceramic media, or poly-fill. However it is true that after the charcoal gets "full" it stops chemical filtration and becomes part of the bio-filter.

Thank you! I should have also mentioned that I also have the ceramic baggie The advice received makes sense. But why sponge, ceramic and charcol? What specifically should each do? Until my tank is cycled should I keep all three then slowly go to ceramic only?

As long as the charcoal's already in there, just leave it. A sponge works the same as ceramic, a place for BB to colonize. Having ceramic media's more than enough for a good colony of BB in your case. If your's didn't come with ceramic, then a sponge is a good alternative.

Back
Top Bottom