Filtration help, please???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sbrumley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a forty gallon freshwater tank right now. All is good but I am looking for the most economical filtration system from an upkeep standpoint. It seems like all filters have specific cartridges, bags disintegrate after 3-4 weeks. Suggestions anyone?

I'm guessing you are talking about HOB (hang on back) filters? I have two aquaclear filters and really like them. They are quiet and seem to do a really nice job. If you are saying you need to replace the filter material every 3-4 weeks DON'T do it. Filters last months and just need to be rinsed out periodically in tank water (not tap water).

When I rinse the carbon filter bags they basically fall apart. I'm thinking about getting a Marineland 350 pro filter system.

Agreed! If your changing your cartridges out monthly like they say to. Thats a no no. They say that for one reason, to make more money off you. i might change filters yearly but only if falling apart.
Aquaclear's a are super filters. For the best price point I would say Marineland has the most gph versus cost.

Just under warm running water. They were purchased new. Used for about three weeks when I rinsed they started falling apart.

Do you think I should run the Marineland with an under gravel with power head as well. Or just the Marineland?

Not sure about them falling apart, but like I said filters should be rinsed in tank water not tap water. Tap water can kill the bacteria in the filter.

Yeah i rinsed using a 90 gallon per hour pump out from my water change tub.

Back
Top Bottom