Filtration Order in Canister Filter....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoeplein

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've read a bunch of inconsistent information about the order in which filters should go into your canister. My ZooMed Nano 10 filter came with instructions showing the biological (bioballs, porous media), then chemical (carbon, Purigen), then mechanical (mesh pads)... other advocates state the order should be the exact opposite. :confused:

Also, if I have porous media (Seachem Matrix) and plastic bioballs, is there a significant difference between which goes first? I've mostly seen the porous media first...:blink:

I just received my Sunsun HW-304B, and it has mesh in each slot, which I'll probably leave as is while adding specific material/media on top.

Does the following order sound correct?

1) 1st Biological - Seachem Matrix porous media
2) 2nd Biological - Plastic Bioballs
3) Chemical - Carbon and Purigen bags
4) Mechanical - multiple mesh pads, increasing in density from top to bottom.

:thanks:

I have an Eheim and here is how I order mine:
1. The porcelain tubes for mechanical breakdown
2. Sponge for catching gunk and biological function
3. Porous beads for housing bacteria
4. Fine filter pad
5. Carbon pad

I run a fluval canister and its like this:
1. sponge screen
2. ceramic noodle things
3. fine poly pad
4. bag of carbon

I also put my mechanical filtration before my biological filtration.

I think of it like this: my filter is a tiered funnel. The highest level removes the big, unsightly chunks of *ahem* detritus that I don't want floating around and ruining the aesthetic in my aquarium.

The biological filtration is doing the important work, but it doesn't need to be working on chunks of debris, and in fact, this would probably end up clogging up the works faster as most of the biological filtration I use is less porous than the mechanical filtration.

I've read a bunch of inconsistent information about the order in which filters should go into your canister. My ZooMed Nano 10 filter came with instructions showing the biological (bioballs, porous media), then chemical (carbon, Purigen), then mechanical (mesh pads)... other advocates state the order should be the exact opposite. :confused:

Also, if I have porous media (Seachem Matrix) and plastic bioballs, is there a significant difference between which goes first? I've mostly seen the porous media first...:blink:

I just received my Sunsun HW-304B, and it has mesh in each slot, which I'll probably leave as is while adding specific material/media on top.

Does the following order sound correct?

1) 1st Biological - Seachem Matrix porous media
2) 2nd Biological - Plastic Bioballs
3) Chemical - Carbon and Purigen bags
4) Mechanical - multiple mesh pads, increasing in density from top to bottom.

:thanks:
You don't need to run carbon and purigen together. Waste of carbon. Also with Matrix, you can ditch the bio-balls. Here's how you should set it up.....
1) Filter Floss with the Purigen on top of the Floss
2) Matrix. Floss in tray below will keep it clean
3) Filter Floss
4) Mechanical

Wouldn't I want the chemical filtration last, that way it feeds the bacteria colonies before wiping out biological matter? I get having different mechanical media before and after everything.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And I have carbon and Purigen together depending on what can fit in the canister vs what I have on hand - though I think I ordered enough Purigen and bags to fill it, and I already have a bucket of carbon on hand to fill any possible gaps.

I have my eheim, that flows from bottom to top, with:

Top/last - Filter floss
*** Bio-media
*** Filter floss
*** Coarse sponge
Bottom/first - Noodle things, that catch the really big stuff

My filter's order is top to bottom.

I have a Rena filstar XP2 that flows bottom to top. I have 2-20ppi sponges followed by 2-30ppi sponges. Then ceramic media for bacteria, crushed coral in some women's tights followed by a pad off bonded filter media to help catch any thing before it goes to the impeller. It depends on the application though, you may need more mechanical filtration for different fish.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wouldn't I want the chemical filtration last, that way it feeds the bacteria colonies before wiping out biological matter? I get having different mechanical media before and after everything.

Purigen will do everything that carbon will do, except it lasts longer. The Purigen is on top of the last tray, so it is the last thing....

Cleanest water goes to biological media. This prevents premature clogging.

In>Sponges, floss, (empty slot(s)) stars or ceramics > out
Biological media is a key component of a filter, I add it to my internal sponge only filters (Rena star type).

Occasional use of carbon to remove medication.

Everything else, water changes.
Virtually trouble free near decade of ever expanding numbers of tanks.

Always with the same format on all systems with the external types fitted.
I don't use anything else.

I'm fairly new but this is my setup
I have a Fluval 306 canister
It came set up as
Mechanical on bottom tray
Biological in middle tray
Fine sponge with carbon on top tray

I heard (and it makes sense) that having a fine sponge above the media causes particles to get stuck in the media since it can't pass the fine sponge.
So I put my fine sponge right on top of the bottom sponge.
Filled up the media trays with another type of media (the media provided only filled about a quarter of the tray)
And filled the top tray with more media with the carbon on top of it.

Top=Top, Bottom = bottom
1) Bio on very top (Sandwiched between fine sponge)
2) Fine sponge
3) Chem filtration
4) Rough sponge
5) Pre filter- I use the Fluval kind, and have some fine gravel too.

You need to have the fine filtration BEFORE your bio filtration, as that is arguably the most important. This way they will not clog, and the surface area will be maximiZed...

Back
Top Bottom