Filtration Questions / Freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwayne.aycock

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I am new to the forum but not new to the hobby. Have been in the aquarium world for many years (approximately 17) when I had to sell all of my gear due to being in the military and the frequent moves required. i am getting back into the hobby after an 11 year lay off. I have set up a 75 gallon freshwater tank where I plan to have South American / Amazon Basin species tank ( Angles, tetras, tiger barbs, neons, corey cats etc). Later after about 12-18 months of stability, I plan to introduce Discus fish. I have set up a lot of filtration (mechanical, biological, chemical) but wanted to know your thoughts on my setup.

I am runnung a 20 gal wet/dry sump pump system with bio balls and a 300 GPH return pump.

I am running a cannister pump and filter with 3 media (floss, charcoal, bio balls) with 9W UV sterilizer and 350 GPH return pump.

Finally, I am running a 375 GPH return pump that goes theough a 2 stage household drinking water filter system which I am using as a water scrubber / polisher.

Currently the tank has no fish, but all gravel, plants and lighting. As the tank is cycling "new" I am taking my time with stocking the tank and wanted to be sure everything is good to go before adding fish. When I was a newby, the desire to add fish as soon as possible was the goal. now that I am older and experienced...I know the set up is the key as well as time and patience.

Your thoughts?
Dwayne

Everything sounds ok but I've not done a sump setup so others will chime in soon. But as for the house water filter, I would double check that because it could be robbing elements that your fish need. Not too sure though

Have you tryed running the house filter with the pump?

I tryed it and it really slowed the flow to just a drizzle coming out. I was pushing it with over 1000 gph pump and it was just one H.Filter. What filter are you using?

I am using household filters but I have changed out the cartridges because they were too restrictive. Instead I am using swimming pool filters (X2) which filter down to 30 microns. These give me the flow I want while at the same time really polishing the water. All I am using in the chemical section is activated charcoal and ammosorb. I have already had the bio bloom and am seeing the bulbs I planted in the substrate starting to make roots. Once my levels go up and come down again, I will slowly add fish....about 2 every other week.

Back
Top Bottom