Filtration Requirements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cynic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

Just a query in regards to filtration, in particular canister filtration.

Now my understanding is that firstly the filters should provide enough flow to turn over your tanks water 4-5 times per hour.

However from what I also understand the filters need to have enough surface area to support the bioload of the tank (Or fish in the tank).

Is there a rule of thumb as to whether a filter/s will provide enough surface area to support a tank bioload? Or am I just confused? :hide:

Cheers in advance (y)

Alot of HOB filters nowdays come with a 4"-6"- 1/2" bio-media pad and IME 1 of these pads have enough area on them for an optimal amount of aerobic bacteria to filter about 20gal. per pad.

Add more media (particularly porous media) if you want to increase surface area for bacteria to grow.

Alot of HOB filters nowdays come with a 4"-6"- 1/2" bio-media pad and IME 1 of these pads have enough area on them for an optimal amount of aerobic bacteria to filter about 20gal. per pad.

Add more media (particularly porous media) if you want to increase surface area for bacteria to grow.

Thanks for the replies :thanks:

Does this mean that I could assume, but not guarantee, that most filters whose flow is 4-5 times combined the volume of my tank will have enough surface area to support the bio-load of a usual stocking of such a tank size?

This is fine as long as your stocked appropriately and are not keeping very messy fish. Adding extra porous media is always a good idea, too. Goldfish, for example, need filtration minimum 10x the tank size in order to be adequate for their high bioload & messiness. Theres probably a few other species that fall into this category as well. :)

This is fine as long as your stocked appropriately and are not keeping very messy fish. Adding extra porous media is always a good idea, too. Goldfish, for example, need filtration minimum 10x the tank size in order to be adequate for their high bioload & messiness. Theres probably a few other species that fall into this category as well. :)

Thanks jlk :thanks:

I'd have a lot less fish if it wasn't for your expertise (y)

Back
Top Bottom