Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

o2addict

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am planning a 180-280Gal tank, depending on the cost of importing the acrylic, or if I just use glass.

What I am thining of doing is to pump water in from the ocean, through the tank and back out again as I am only about 20ft from deep water. This way I would only need mechanical filtration and carbon on the in water supply and the water in the tank should remain fully balanced, without worrying about complex filtration, evaporation or anything.

I have written for approval from my Condo association to do it, but if they decline, I was going to do weekly water changes directly with the ocean. I was going to plumb in 2 PVC lines and have a pump and external filters in my garden and then have the ability to drain the tank and add in fresh seawater. Would that simplify things or should I just try and get a fully balanced reef tank. The fish I will be keeping will be locally caught wild fish, so there are no water or temperature considerations by pumping in fresh saltwater.

i think everything in the Bahamas is legal :)

seriously though, taht sounds like a pretty sweet idea. please keep us updated...with photos if you can

it would take a huge pump to overcome the head height. Personally I would feel safer bringing in 20-30 gal of water at a time and running it through a filter for a couple of days before adding to my tank.

OK, I cannot just pump in water and then drain back out, due to restricting covenants. So I will have to go the normal filter route.

Is there any benefit to doing a 20% water change each week or, is it best to try and get the tank balanced?

Back
Top Bottom