Filtration..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_little_tetra

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is lava rock an acceptable bio media to place in an aquaclear 110 filter? Would be placing one, or possibly two of these on a 46G tank for discus. Would Ammonia remover media or phosphate remover media help at all? Which sponge medica would be better, the white type from aquaclear or the black, egg crate style foam from fluval.. cut to fit into an aquaclear.

Is lava rock an acceptable bio media to place in an aquaclear 110 filter? Would be placing one, or possibly two of these on a 46G tank for discus. Would Ammonia remover media or phosphate remover media help at all? Which sponge medica would be better, the white type from aquaclear or the black, egg crate style foam from fluval.. cut to fit into an aquaclear.

Honestly I'd just use a block of aquaclear foam, and then a large bag of biomedia. Use actual biomedia. If you're hellbent on it though, yes you can use crushed lava rock in a media bag as bio media.

The foam block will also be biomedia, so don't go over-rinsing it.

lava rock doesnt have as much surface area as bio media and it clogs easy . i would get the best biomedia there is if your keeping discus unless you like replacing expensive fish like discus

Hi, I have a bag of api nitra zorb and it says to replace after two months. I have read that elsewhere but this is first time i have used it. I've only got it to try/as backup for a QT tank for ammonia otherwise it is too pricey for me and in the main tank the bacteria and partial water changes normally keep everything well. Not sure on phosphate remover, never used it or tested for it.

Filtration Media

Hello my...

Provided you're able to commit to removing and replacing large amounts of tank water every week, you could use lava rock, fiber padding, aquarium filter batting, sponge media or any other porous material that's safe for aquarium use. You simply need a material with a substantial surface area for the beneficial bacteria to live.

The water change is the real filter, though. By removing half the tank water weekly, you remove dissolved wastes and guarantee pure water conditions for your fish and plants.

B

Hello my...

Provided you're able to commit to removing and replacing large amounts of tank water every week, you could use lava rock, fiber padding, aquarium filter batting, sponge media or any other porous material that's safe for aquarium use. You simply need a material with a substantial surface area for the beneficial bacteria to live.

The water change is the real filter, though. By removing half the tank water weekly, you remove dissolved wastes and guarantee pure water conditions for your fish and plants.

B

I'd suggest more than a weekly water change for discus. Unless the tank is so heavily planted with fast growing plants that nitrates never go above zero.

ok.. so would ammonia or phosphate removers help much? is aquaclear bio-maxx a good bio media?

I'd suggest more than a weekly water change for discus. Unless the tank is so heavily planted with fast growing plants that nitrates never go above zero.

In a planted tank a 0ppm nitrate reading is a bad thing for plants. 10ppm is a good level to shoot for but even 20ppm won't be dangerous to discus.

ok.. so would ammonia or phosphate removers help much? is aquaclear bio-maxx a good bio media?

Ammonia removers might help a little to keep nitrates down. Phosphate removers won't do anything for discus health however.

Back
Top Bottom