Fin Nipper - Betta - TREATMENT HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltypuppy

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have Apollo here... and he decided to have a snack.
Does anyone have any treatment Ideas?

img_1181934_0_e2c25c625bfab7418bc8649f433ad1f1.jpg

There he is before he had a snack... Here is now...

img_1181934_1_4367ec3699b788a294123de32c3045fb.jpg

Anyone have any ideas of what to do? He is housed in a 10 gallon divided tank... with my other male betta. They can't get to eachother before you ask. I heard that changing the water more often and adding stress coat can help. What about soaking their food in garlic juice?

Any help at all is appreciated greatly! THANK YOU!

One of my bettas did the same thing for about 8 months. He has just recently stopped, and I don't know why he did it in the first place, I have heard that male bettas will bite their fins off if they are too heavy. Can he get near the filter intake? If so, he might have gotten it sucked into that.
Just make sure you keep the water clean, and I did use Stress-Coat with aloe for mine, even though as soon as it would start growing back, he would bite it off again. *sigh* Bratty bettas. LOL

The betta actually ate his own fins? Crazy! I have no idea how you'd discourage that behavior.

+1 for keeping the water clean.

You spank their little behinds. LOL just kidding. ;) It might be boredom too.
I was just thinking about it, and when my betta was biting his, he was in an area of the house where he would only see someone if they were walking into the kitchen. Now he is in the living room, and there is alot more action, so maybe he's not so bored now? Try rearranging his stuff, and maybe taping a hand mirror to the side of the tank for about 10 minutes a day, so he can check himself out. They do make toys for bettas too, like little rings to swim through and stuff.

One of my bettas did the same thing for about 8 months. He has just recently stopped, and I don't know why he did it in the first place, I have heard that male bettas will bite their fins off if they are too heavy. Can he get near the filter intake? If so, he might have gotten it sucked into that.
Just make sure you keep the water clean, and I did use Stress-Coat with aloe for mine, even though as soon as it would start growing back, he would bite it off again. *sigh* Bratty bettas. LOL
Oh this is interesting! That could be it too. I mean he is a Halfmoon and I bet his fins are pretty heavy. I Don't actually have a filter yet because I didn't want this to happen to the poor guy. :p SO there isn't much I can do about it huh? Hmmm I may just have to pick up some Stess coat. Is that stuff good for your fish all the time? Like should I have been giving it to them all along? Hmmm so many questions. Maybe he isn't getting enough attention and thats why he did it. I was really busy last night. The boy saw me in the morning and than at 8 at night. So I mean it was 12 hours. Maybe he isn't getting enough attention. Do you think he will be ok?

You spank their little behinds. LOL just kidding. ;) It might be boredom too.
I was just thinking about it, and when my betta was biting his, he was in an area of the house where he would only see someone if they were walking into the kitchen. Now he is in the living room, and there is alot more action, so maybe he's not so bored now? Try rearranging his stuff, and maybe taping a hand mirror to the side of the tank for about 10 minutes a day, so he can check himself out. They do make toys for bettas too, like little rings to swim through and stuff.
Betta toys? Hmmm He had only been in there for two weeks I am kinda like wow you are needy.

Stress Coat is also a dechlor I believe, I used my regular dechlor and then added stress coat every other day or so. He will be fine, as long as he doesn't bite them down to his body, and I don't think he can get his little head that far back. ;)

Stress Coat is also a dechlor I believe, I used my regular dechlor and then added stress coat every other day or so. He will be fine, as long as he doesn't bite them down to his body, and I don't think he can get his little head that far back. ;)
Ya Mine has slime coat in it already. Should I still buy it?

Should I purchase Stress coat Stuff? I was looking at my water conditioner and it says

Removes Harmful Chlorine and Chloramine and heavy metals in tap water
It also Says it has four additives to help their slime coat
Last but not least it also says that it has electrolytes to help ease the fish as far as stress goes.

So I was just trying to figure out if I need to go and buy stress coat or not...

Also what have you guys heard about soaking their food in garlic juice? Is this a good or bad Idea? And how can I do it if it is a good idea?

Thank you again. Sorry for so many questions just want to get this little guy better as soon as I can.

You can soak it in garlic juice, no problem. Garlic supposedly has antibacterial or anti-parsitic properties for fish anyway. Just get some fresh garlic, press it and use that juice. The garlic made for fish from the store is pretty spendy.
The stuff I used had aloe in it, and I got it at Walmart. I was trying to help regrow fins, I wasn't worried about their slime coats. ;)

You can soak it in garlic juice, no problem. Garlic supposedly has antibacterial or anti-parsitic properties for fish anyway. Just get some fresh garlic, press it and use that juice. The garlic made for fish from the store is pretty spendy.
The stuff I used had aloe in it, and I got it at Walmart. I was trying to help regrow fins, I wasn't worried about their slime coats. ;)
Alright fantastic! Can I soaked them in garlic juice from our container of minced garlic?

I am not sure about that garlic. I thought of that before, but I think it's kind of oily?
Been having comp problems, so sorry it has taken so long!

I am not sure about that garlic. I thought of that before, but I think it's kind of oily?
Been having comp problems, so sorry it has taken so long!
Oh I saw other people that said it was cool. :D It also has like no ingredients just minced garlic and a perservative. I already have some fin re growth. How often should I dose stess coat? I have did it once this week.

Sweet Thank you! Well all seems to be going well so far. I mean there isn't a ton of growth but I see some clear edges already/.

Ahhhh! Man I have been dosing that Stress Coat+ Aloe for a few weeks now. The damage he made is about half healed. But last night he decided to munch a bit again... Or it may be damage - they are tattered not ripped.

I was supposed to change the tank last night. (It was the one week mark) But I was super tired so I got up right away this mornin' to clean it and he had a little more damage. No black edges or anything though...

I am at a loss for what to do about this. I am going to continue dosing him with that stress coat.

It was also a day I fast them yesterday too. Do you think he was hungry? God this is irritating. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Oooo I did make him flare up yesterday to have a good look at his fins - maybe it made him all aggressive?

My red betta bit his fins again too....He is such a brat! He has done this about 4 times now, and I don't know how to fix it. You could try feeding him every day for a month or so, and see what happens. I don't fast my bettas, I feed them 3 pellets, twice a day, peas and bloodworms once a week also.
I think my red betta might do it because his fins are heavy, but who knows?

Hmmm Ok! I am gonna try to feed him more than. I only feed my bettas three pellets a day... and my one betta is almost fat. Lol. I think I will feed my fin nipper 4 pellets from now on and see how it goes. Maybe he is hungry. When I get a filter I am going to put a ping pong ball on top of the water so that it floats around. Then maybe he will follow it and not be bored or something.

YA the mystery of fin nipping. I was like Yay we're getting somewhere. *MUNCH* Thanks bud.

Back
Top Bottom