Fin Nippers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taelen

Aquarium Advice Freak
A few weeks ago I made a post about my angelfish chomping down on my anacharis floating plants, I have since altered my feeding schedule to feed them twice per day and I think that has helped although I'm still keeping an eye on them.

What has been happening now however is that my yoyo loaches are swimming up and really nipping the fins of my angels, and I mean really. I have seen them do it. To the point where one of the angels looks kinda goofy. Obviously, this is not a good situation.

Are they yoyo's really hungry or is this normal loach behaviour? When I researched these guys, I didn't recall anything about them being such aggressive fin nippers. I would hate to have to move fish out of this tank for that reason, it's my favorite tank and I love the way it's stocked.

I currently feed the loaches 4-5 sinking pellets once per day. Anyone have experience with yoyo's and how much they should be getting?

Thanks.

I think that for the most part you should feed fish only what they'll eat in a couple minute's time, two to three times a day. I feed my goldfish less, but more frequently (4 - 5 times per day).

Yoyos can get aggressive and I have seen it for myself (with an Angel). I finally had to give mine to the LFS and now my Angel's fins look great all the time. I wasn't sure if it was the Yoyos or my Ram, but obviously know now it was the Yoyos. Also, they were outcompeting my Cories for food, which was the main reason I got rid of them (since I wasn't sure they were the fin nippers).

I don't think its a hunger issue with the loaches. They are just boisterous and kind of aggressive compared to other loaches.

What size tank and how many Yoyos do you have?

This is my 44g planted tank. It's a corner style tank that is taller than it is wide. I have 4 yoyo's which for the most part hang out at the bottom while the 2 angels swim mid to upper. There is also a clown pleco that hides out down below.

I have had the angels for a few months now, but it's only in the last couple of week where I have begun to notice their poor fins vanishing and then finally I caught the yoyo's in the act. I stocked the tank knowing how and where these fish normally hang out, or so I thought. =(

This is not getting any better sadly. My only alternatives are to give away the angels (not ideal, I love them) or switch them into my 38g and bring my gold and pearl gouramis over to the 44g planted.

Will Gouramis be harassed by the yoyo's as well?

Gouramis are slow fish, so its likely they'll get harassed as well.

Yoyos really need a long tank. I wouldn't have them in anything less than 4ft long, since they are active fish that need groups.

My suggestion would be to get rid of the Yoyos or get a longer tank with enough space for them.

I have plans in the next while to switch the substrate in my 38g to sand (a lot of procrastination on that one). That tank is longer than the 44g. Perhaps the solution would be to swap some of the fish from the 38 and put the yoyo's in that tank.

Last edited:
Well, it now seems that one of the angels isn't going to make it. The other one seems untouched for some strange reason.

I guess a couple of questions are:

1) How will a lone angel do by itself?
2) If I need to move it, will it get along with gouramis?
3) what is a suitable mid to upper swimming fish in a tank with yoyo's (perhaps a school of something like tiger barbs?)

The only way I have seen to keep semi-aggressive fin nipping loaches in a tank with something that has big fins like an Angelfish is to find a slightly more aggressive non-loach that does not nip fins. Just make sure there are enough areas for the animals to all have territories.

NOTE - this is not the best thing to do if you don't have tanks where you can shift animals around to new homes as it puts the Angelfish at risk.

Well, the other angel did not recover. I kept an eye out all weekend and the other angel does not seem to be getting bothered by the yoyo's. I can't help but wonder if perhaps the other was sick.

Either way, I am keeping a close eye on the situation and I will move him immediately if needed. Thanks for the tips folks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom