Fin nipping with a new goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sssea

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went to my favorite LFS and picked out a gorgeous black oranda (Hans) to join my fishy family. I chose their smallest fish, which happens to be the same size as my largest oranda (Augustus).

Now that Hans is in the tank, Augustus keeps following him around menacingly, but not really chasing him. Augustus will occasionally nip at his fins, but no damage is done. Hans will sometimes return the favor, but does not instigate. Both are completely ignoring the two smaller fish.

When it comes to feeding time, Augustus gulps up all the pellets he can see and swims back and forth to keep everyone away. I'm not sure anyone else is getting enough food.

My question: Is this normal aggression that will reside in a few days? Should I rearrange all the deco to remove territories? My mom seems to think it means they are friends or even flirting (I'm only guessing at their sexes.). I am completely unsure as I have never seen this behavior before.

I've always seen/thought goldies to be the most peaceful little guys, so this worries me. I would hate to have to return Hans because Augustus is a meanie.

Attachments

• image-3954938410.jpg
    image-3954938410.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 117
  • image-1016692505.jpg
    image-1016692505.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 129
  • image-4259525765.jpg
    image-4259525765.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 128
Goldfish aren't normally all that territorial, but this is fairly normal behavior between an established fish and new arrivals. It should subside once they work things out.

If it doesn't then sometimes rearranging the decor can shake things up a bit and force them to reestablish territories. This can either make things worse or better, depends on the fish.

If you are worried that one is getting all the food, try to distract him by feeding at one end and then adding some to the other end for the other fish. Since Goldfish will scavenge, the others should still be able to get some that way.

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom