fin rot disaster.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickyg78

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have a 30 gallon I had 4 goldfish and pleco. Tank got ich then the fish got severe fin rot. I have two goldfish and pleco left. I put the pleco In a 2.5 tank so I can massively treat the tank with salt and Melafix. So far the fish don't seem to be doing better. Anyways, if they all do end up passing away what should I go from the tank? Should I rinse the whole tank out or what? Basically all I'm asking is if the fish pass away what should I do with the I fected tank

Have you actually tested the water parameters? The reason I ask is 4 goldfish and pleco in a 30g will deteriote the water quality extremely quick. The most common cause of fin rot is poor water quality.

So I have a 30 gallon I had 4 goldfish and pleco. Tank got ich then the fish got severe fin rot. I have two goldfish and pleco left. I put the pleco In a 2.5 tank so I can massively treat the tank with salt and Melafix. So far the fish don't seem to be doing better. Anyways, if they all do end up passing away what should I go from the tank? Should I rinse the whole tank out or what? Basically all I'm asking is if the fish pass away what should I do with the I fected tank

I wouldn't use melafix for a serious problem- it's better suited as a preventative rather than a cure. Keep changing that water as often as you can, and use a top quality conditioner. Don't feed them for a couple of days. What are your ammonia and nitrite readings?

Is your pleco a species that stays relatively small when fully grown? I have two goldfish and a pleco in a 74 gal (which is way overstocked) and I have to do 30% pwc every other day (in fact I had to do it two days in a row because they'd had a big feed). That tank is well over filtered but barely compensates IMO. One of the goldfish is going to be rehomed in a pond soon, so that will take a lot of stress off me and the tank, but I will still need to keep up the same pwc schedule to keep them healthy and avoid things like finrot and ich.

I hope your fish pull through. If they dont, then I'd disinfect the tank with a weak bleach solution, rinse rinse rinse and then leave in the sun to dry out. Same with ornaments, nets, buckets etc.

Back
Top Bottom