Fin Rot or Aggression?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Urnonsnewman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been out of town for 2 weeks and my gf has been taking care of my wolf fish (feeding and performing regular water changes) when I got home I seen my wolf fish in very bad shape! He was in a 110 gallon with 5 silver dollars and a red tailed shark.... I transferred him to my 36 gallon by him self and started to treat with melafix....it looks like his tail is half gone! Is there any thing else I can do?

Attachments

• image-2737186985.jpg
    image-2737186985.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 92
  • image-453672951.jpg
    image-453672951.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 90
Urnonsnewman said:
I've been out of town for 2 weeks and my gf has been taking care of my wolf fish (feeding and performing regular water changes) when I got home I seen my wolf fish in very bad shape! He was in a 110 gallon with 5 silver dollars and a red tailed shark.... I transferred him to my 36 gallon by him self and started to treat with melafix....it looks like his tail is half gone! Is there any thing else I can do?

What are your params? Was the tank cycled?

If we rule out fin rot (once we see your params) id guess that the shark was being a bully.

Looks more like aggression to me than fin rot... I've never had any problems with my silver dollars being aggressive, could it be your shark that did it?

Yes the tank is cycled no ammonia nitrites nitrates are 25 ph 7.5

Well it's possible but I have only seen the wolf chase the shark he is a fair bit smaller the the wolf

Urnonsnewman said:
Yes the tank is cycled no ammonia nitrites nitrates are 25 ph 7.5

Id say its aggression then. Most likely the shark. Very very clean water will help the tail heal and grow back

He seems to be having a hard time swimming as well kinda like he is sick! Will the melafix help or is there something else

Urnonsnewman said:
He seems to be having a hard time swimming as well kinda like he is sick! Will the melafix help or is there something else

Melafix will help a lot. You may also want to try some kind of antibiotic if melafix and water changes doesnt help

Urnonsnewman said:

Ahhh! Poor little guy considering he's missing a good portion of his tail that could be the culprit. I do believe Melafix will help and frequent water changes to keep the water pristine. :)

On the directions it says to treat melafix everyday, can I still perform water changes everyday and treat the water with prime just to keep the water fresh

Urnonsnewman said:
On the directions it says to treat melafix everyday, can I still perform water changes everyday and treat the water with prime just to keep the water fresh

Yes most definitely :)

Urnonsnewman said:

Do a water change and dose Melafix after

Make sure to remove carbon from the filter too

Tigroscr said:
Yes most definitely :)

Ok just makin sure cause it says to do a 25 percent water change after a week on the directions wasn't sure if changing it everyday would mess up the treatment

Urnonsnewman said:
Ok just makin sure cause it says to do a 25 percent water change after a week on the directions wasn't sure if changing it everyday would mess up the treatment

I see what your saying but that's for regular maintenance your treating a sick or injured fish. So do what George9 said take out carbon from your filter if you have it and make sure and remove 25-30% of the water daily add prime before adding new water and then add the Melafix.

Tigroscr said:
I see what your saying but that's for regular maintenance your treating a sick or injured fish. So do what George9 said take out carbon from your filter if you have it and make sure and remove 25-30% of the water daily add prime before adding new water and then add the Melafix.

Exactly. :) I hope he recovers!

Urnonsnewman said:
Me to:( how long does melafix usually take to see results?

It will be a while for it to heal. You mean how long until the tail brginsbto grow? That all depends.. I'd guessing youll see some improvement in a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom