Fin Rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFingers

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone had experience with treating fin rot?

I have a community tank with 4 Firemouths, 1 Severum and 6 C Loaches and 1 plec. 55g

I think the Severum has fin rot and 1 of the Firemouths.

Everywhere I read it says that Fin Rot is very contagious and very hard to treat.

I would rather get rid(send back to LFS) of the two fish rather than risk the rest of the tank if its to hard to treat.

My parameters are fine and its a well established tank. I think the Severum came in with Fin Rot about 3 months ago and is showing a lot less damage than the Firemouth. The Firemouth is quickly losing his left fin and is showing a small fungal infection to.

Can anyone recommend a treatment for this community.

I do 50% water change every saturday and my results for the last 2 months are 0/0 Amm/Nit and Nitrate is 10 max. I'm almost sure it came from the Severum.

Any help is appreciated.

I would do twice weekly water changes, and treat with Melafix. It's worked wonders on Fin Rot infections that I've seen. Otherwise, you may want to treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic (ie: Maracyn-2) if the Melafix doesn' t work.

HTH

Once again, I must agree with DT. Melafix works wonders with finrot. If the finrot has progressed quite a bit Maracyn II is a great alternative. Remember to take the activated carbon out of the tank when treating. It would also be good if you had a QT tank to treat in. If not it is fine to treat the whole tank. Keep an eye on the other inhabitants to make sure they don't get it too.

Melafix. I can't get that stuff here. I will get some from the net for the future but it will be to late now. LFS only had something called Myxazin P. Its made by waterlife. Its a broad spectrum bacterial treatment.

I am wondering if I should use half the dosage because of the Clown Loaches. Or should I treat them twice a day with half the dosage?

What do you think?

Thanks for the replies.

Oops. Didn't see that you were in Ireland. The med you got should work fine. I'd go ahead and treat the full dosage. The clown loaches should be fine, but if they start looking stressed (pale or otherwise just acting differently) than move them if possible, or do a water change if not possible to move them.

Back
Top Bottom