Finally a Pico!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The salinity is higher at the end of the week because the water evaporates. When water evaporates the salt and minerals are left behind. That's why you have to top it off with fresh water and not saltwater.

That makes sense. Not sure why I didn't put that together. Haha :)

I think that one will be fine. Just place te rock or whatever it is attached to at the highest point in the tank. Then let him move to wherever he wants. This might make me sound like a slacker, but I don't check parameters. I really just rely on the salt mix to add minerals and whatnot. I do however do a one cup water change a week. And every other day, I add a fourth cup if even that of freshwater to balance out the salt, which I do check. I've noticed that in a little tank like this one, salt like, "multiplies" if that even makes any sense. Say I measure the salinity at the beginning of the week and don't do anything with it until the next week, the salinity is way higher.

Thanks buddy!! That makes sense to me, because is almost the same thing that i do every week, every time that i saw some water evaporated i add a half cup of saltwater and the other half with fresh ro/di water to try to balance again but i check the salinity and at then i do a 20 to 25 % of water change but before that i check my parameters basically just alkalinity and phosphate and calcium. But as you said the salinity in this pico reefs is very primordial . As a pico reefs the change are more critical and hurts quickly the corals!! Thank you very much for your comment it really helps ! Have a great night ?

Yeah. I love it! My grandma bought me two sexy shrimp yesterday and I picked up a porcelain crab today. Can't get a picture o the porcelain crab...he's hiding where my camera can't focus on. -.- Here's the sexy shrimp. They almost immediately began hosting the bubble-tip and nearby mushrooms.

image-428395151.jpg

Hey guys, last night I finally added my little baby Red Bubble Tip Anemone, is like a dollar coin size, right now the anemone choose the bottom of the aquarium , as soon as is open fully I share a picture. Thank you

Hey guys, last night I finally added my little baby Red Bubble Tip Anemone, is like a dollar coin size, right now the anemone choose the bottom of the aquarium , as soon as is open fully I share a picture. Thank you

Cool! :)

Hello guys! I just want to share some pics of my RBTA , to honest looks bigger than a dollar coin, today was feed with a little piece of fresh scallop, after the anemone ate it , starts to open a little more than usual and looks so beautiful!! Have a great day everyone!

Attachments

• image-3560774160.jpg
    image-3560774160.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 95
  • image-1656206296.jpg
    image-1656206296.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 83
  • image-2121416402.jpg
    image-2121416402.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 96
  • image-2398311485.jpg
    image-2398311485.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 84
I have been reading your thread. Great setup! - love how is coming all together.
I'm using the evolve 8, it as a fresh water planted shrimp tank. I am really thinking about using it as my first salt-reef tank . I'm still in research mode and just reading like crazy.
any suggestions, tip on maintenance, do or don't. Also did you mod the filter box any, and what are the water changes like.
I have had a problem with the stock lights when I got it, I contacted aquaeon and they sent me 2 new light. This is great for a planted tank, but should I still run both lights?
thanks

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm a bit addicted. There really isn't much to it in my experience Once the tank is cycled, just keep up on water changes and top-offs. The evaporation isn't as bad if you leave the lid on. I just top off with freshwater when the water level is low, just enough to hold off to a water change. I change about a cup a week, so it's really simple. And no I didn't modify the filter box. I like the way it overflows. Oh! Don't forget to clean the filter media. Just get some tank-water and rinse the crud off of of it. I would definitely use both lights. I am only using one stock-light and the most I can grow is softies and possibly some lps. I'm ok with that though because I really like softies or any lowlight coral for that matter. Most people say starting out with a pico/nano is really difficult, but I haven't had any major problems. However, I did start out with a 90 gallon saltwater, but this ones a lot easier to care for in my opinion. If you go the salt route, I'd for sure follow your thread. :)

Thanks! I'm a bit addicted. There really isn't much to it in my experience Once the tank is cycled, just keep up on water changes and top-offs. The evaporation isn't as bad if you leave the lid on. I just top off with freshwater when the water level is low, just enough to hold off to a water change. I change about a cup a week, so it's really simple. And no I didn't modify the filter box. I like the way it overflows. Oh! Don't forget to clean the filter media. Just get some tank-water and rinse the crud off of of it. I would definitely use both lights. I am only using one stock-light and the most I can grow is softies and possibly some lps. I'm ok with that though because I really like softies or any lowlight coral for that matter. Most people say starting out with a pico/nano is really difficult, but I haven't had any major problems. However, I did start out with a 90 gallon saltwater, but this ones a lot easier to care for in my opinion. If you go the salt route, I'd for sure follow your thread. :)

I hear you with the addiction. Now if only my wife would understand why I need 3 tanks. Ill def start a thread when I start. Thanks for the help. Also if you ever have light issues just email aquaeon and they will send you a new light. No questions asked.
I'm still a little nervous about getting started but being in the Dallas area we have some really great "lfs" that can help me out.
Do you have any fish in there? Wasn't sure if I noticed any

Haha. Good to know! And no. I tried a clown goby once, but he didn't make it. He wasn't very healthy at the lfs but I got him anyway because I felt bad for him.

It's been a while since a. Update. Not much has really happened until recently. My mom bought me som zoas, ricordias and mushrooms. My sexy shrimp have been pestering the zoas non-stop and the zoas won't open up fully. I was wondering if anyone had any tips to make the shrimp leave them alone so they can actually open. Thanks!

:/ I don't really have another place for them. They'd get eaten for sure in my ninety gallon. Do you think that if they left the zoas alone until they opened that the zoas wouldn't mind anymore. That's how my mushrooms were. At first, they'd close up the second the shrimps feet touched them nut now the shrimp basically live on them without them closing.

Back
Top Bottom