Finally hatched out c. paleatus eggs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liggs17

Aquarium Advice Regular
My fish have spawned three times in about a month and I messed up the first two, but seemed to have hit it right on the third.

The first time, the corydoras paleatus eggs were collected and placed in a tupperware bowl that was filled with water and floated on the surface of the tank. I used some medication to prevent fungus, and it didn't work.

Second try, same method, except I bought methylene blue for fungus and killed all of the eggs by using too much of it. Oops.

Third time, I barely used any methylene blue, and viola! They are hatching out. I'll keep my fingers crossed I can raise them from newly-hatched fry....

Liggs

First congrats! Lessons learned and hopefully never forgotten. :wink:

I just want to know what you use for your substrate? I am planning on breeding C. Trilineatus and have been told everything from gravel to bare bottom but it seems the conscensious is a thin layer of sand.

What did you use?

I'm not sure of the proper name for my substrate, but it consists of about three inches of plant-friendly fluorite (I think that's the name) which is covered by smooth pebbles or gravel. I have had success with just the spawning of eggs in sand substrate tanks as well. I think the only important aspect is to make sure the substrate is made up of smooth stones, whatever the size, so as to protect the barbels of the corydoras.

Liggs

my alibino paleatus spawned in a bare bottom tank. I don't think substrate matters, since they lay their eggs on the glass. The fish might prefer a substrate, and sand would be my first choice.

Back
Top Bottom