Finally have an aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jstp18

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Happy New Year! Everyone. I'm new to fish. I have a 38-gallon fresh water tank with live plants and 11 community fish. First round of fish were introduced about 10 days ago, the last 5 added 3days ago. Tank has been operational for 2weeks

Not sure when I should perform my first water change. Want to make sure I'm not upsetting he "good" bacteria.

jstp18 said:
Not sure when I should perform my first water change. Want to make sure I'm not upsetting he "good" bacteria.

The good bacteria is in the filter and the filter media. Barely any at all is in the water. Therefore, start now with 30% every week!

Also, what fish do you have exactly? I want to make sure you made good choices:)

Good to know. Woman at pet store told me to wait a month before first water change and 10% was sufficient. I have 2 neon tetras, 2 Mickey mouse platas, 2 black phantom tetras, 2 gold platas, 1 Dalmatian Molly, 2 variatus

You cycled your tank in two weeks? Wow that's fast! Cycle as in nitrogen cycle not letting it sit for a day and letting the water run around. A water change should be done at least once a week. The more the better but keep an eye on your nitrate levels to decide your water changes. Also do you have a test kit at all or no? Also are they strips or liquid?

jstp18 said:
Good to know. Woman at pet store told me to wait a month before first water change and 10% was sufficient. I have 2 neon tetras, 2 Mickey mouse platas, 2 black phantom tetras, 2 gold platas, 1 Dalmatian Molly, 2 variatus

Ok, good stock, except those tetras need a school of at least 6 each. Youll have to bump those up for them to thrive and live properly.

Sorry, but im not familiar with a variatus? Picture?

Does it matter which tetra I add-phantom or neon?

jstp18 said:
Does it matter which tetra I add-phantom or neon?

Yes it does matter, those are different species and will not school together. Each of those tetras needs 6+ of each.

Given the size of my tank (38) gal, do I have room to add 8 more fish?

jstp18 said:
Given the size of my tank (38) gal, do I have room to add 8 more fish?

Well that all drpends on your filtration and water change scheduale

It should be fine. Just slowly add them. Wait another week or so and add in the rest of the neons then wait another week to two weeks and add in the phantoms. Everything should be good.

Back
Top Bottom