Finally I have a pair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine is set at 80-82 degrees. The eggs have started turning white now what does that mean? Is this them about to hatch out?

Mine is set at 80-82 degrees. The eggs have started turning white now what does that mean? Is this them about to hatch out?

Actually, white eggs are dead eggs. Either they were never fertilized or the embryo died before hatching. I find that some fish have a problem with over 80 degree water so if this continues to happen in subsequent spawns, I would try reducing the temp to 78- 80 degrees. Reread the wigglers thread as this is discussed in detail there.(y)

Haha I think I had like 30/40 that were dead total. The rest are out and wiggling! There's so many in a bunch it looks kind of like algae haha

The little guys are still holding up strong. There are so many I can't count hahaha. They are all still clinging to the slate. Well now the slate they have moved them twice already. The parents are doing great and are very protective of them. Quite often picking them up and spitting them to teach them to swim! When should I start trying to feed these little guys?

Here are the little guys free swimming.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1398472447517.jpg
    1398472447517.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 1398472466095.jpg
    1398472466095.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 38
Sorry about the mess. I am afraid to clean the glass just yet. I dont want the parents to get nervous.

They should be fed starting the first day they are free swimming. Make a note of how many days from hatch to free swimming so that with future spawns you can have food ready to feed the expected day of free swimming.
The good news is that if you don't have food the first day, the fry may pretty much still using the last of the yolk sac for nourishment but you really need to feed them by day 2 to keep them healthy.
Hope this helps

Just out of curiosity, how big should a breeder tank be? I am going to get some Angels. Do i need to separate the pair and if I don't would the other fish in the tank eat the eggs? I bought a cone cheap on ebay, would that be okay or would slate be better?
Sorry, missed the start of your conversation, hope that i'm not asking something that has been asked. Your Angels look lovely Kwebb20. Good luck !!!
Thanks

My tanks are 29 gallon and I keep only the pairs in there. With other fish in the tank they may be ok but the angels will get very territorial especially when pairing up. As for the cone or the slate I have heard either works I use slate. But I have heard of them laying on anything from the glass to the filter tube and heater. Thank you very much. I hope this helps!

Well got home tonight to an empty tank. parents ate all of them :( and after doing so well for the first three days. I don't know what happened everything was being done in the same routine as always :( I guess I know now to pull the eggs. Oh well you love and learn.

Back
Top Bottom