Fine Gravel over normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,... I was wondering...if I should get really fine grade subtrate for my new "to-come" planted 10gall? cause I am not happy with the regular pea gravel....and I (think) I can get 25 pound of the fine grade for like $12.95... around here eco (I like the look of it though ) is not even to be found and flourite is 8O in price....and I like the look of it..anyways, if anyone has any input I would appreciate it!

Sorry, I misread the question! I thought you were putting it OVER the pea gravel.

I am using play sand in my tank, which you must be lucky enough to find the correct one. The one I got is like mini pea gravel, not really sand... It doesn't "sparkle" like sharp sand which is flat like little disks and will compact on you. Mine is small round pebble.

Any clay type of earthy sand will compact.

Just make sure it's not too fine, or it will compact and you'll have problems due to anaerobic pockets in the fine gravel. I haven't had any problems yet with my pool filter sand, as it's pretty coarse. Any smaller, it would have a compacting problem.

i bought hagen riverbed sand for my 2gal and it eventually turned to clay!! that made me mad. ANd yeah, i just bought a tank that came with loads of pool filter sand. It seems to be pretty good. Go with it if possible.

I used paving sand in my planted tank. The plants really like it, but I wish I had rinsed it out better so the finer silt doesn't get stirred up when I'm replanting. I did have to add Malaysian Trumpet Snails to stir up the sand and keep gas pockets down. The other downside to the finer sands is that the mulm can collect on top of the sand instead of sifting down into it. it can be somewhat unsightly on top, but is good for your plants if it makes it below. If I did it again, I'd try the pool filter sand, people seem to consistently report this as a coarser grade of sand.

I have very fine ColorQuartz sand. The S-Grade is much finer than their T-Grade, which is a lot like PFS. The plants have done well in my planted tanks and my Mbuna like digging in it. For ease of cleaning, it's about the same as the PFS I have in my other tanks. In either case, it's a good idea to sift the sand by hand every now to release any trapped gases.

well the main reason is that I like the look...I have had playsand and was not impressed...pain to keep clean, and when I did water changes I allways got some sand mixed in as well and ugg..what a pain! thanks all for the reply's

Back
Top Bottom