Finnless powder blue gourmi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donavin

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Gourmi looks like he has been in the fight of his life and has some pretty bad fin damage. However, he is still able to swim around. I am wondering if I put him in my qt tank will he recover?

He's still alive does anyone have any advice?

Ow poor little guy. I do know fins tend to grow back, so if he can eat and swim he should recover.

Any pics?

I agree with sharkbait. He is related to bettas that can fight almost to death and then recover lol

I have him in my 55g with 8 guppies and 1 African Brown Knife. I was told by my supplier that this setup would be ok. I'm sure he's been fighting with the brown knife. I know the knife can be semi aggressive but what I don't understand is why is the knife fighting or even stressing the guppies? Any thoughts?

Donavin said:
I have him in my 55g with 8 guppies and 1 African Brown Knife. I was told by my supplier that this setup would be ok. I'm sure he's been fighting with the brown knife. I know the knife can be semi aggressive but what I don't understand is why is the knife fighting or even stressing the guppies? Any thoughts?

Wow the knife isn't eating the guppies?

Maybe the knife and the DG were disputing territory maybe??

Yup it's a nice balance. The knife eats the baby's and keeps the pop in check but doesn't bother the adult guppies.

I would separate him from the knife if he is the suspected culprit. If he attacks again while the gourami is in a weakened state he might not have the energy to fight back or swim away. Clean water should be enough to heal his wounds and grow back his fins.

Wait... isn't it common for people feed brown knife fish guppies? What is wrong with this fish??? haha

I would say probably the guppies ganged up on the gourami. I've seen them take the fins off of other fish before. But, hey, maybe the knife did? Either way, separate him. Obviously this set up isn't going to work with him in it.

Back
Top Bottom