Fire/brisle worms??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Savannasfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was doing a water change in my tank, lifting up some of the rocks to siphon under them and out fell some, what looks like, fireworms. Are they? From what I’ve looked up it seems like they are harmful I haven’t seen any problems with my fish and coral which is making me think I’m identifying them incorrectly. If they are fireworms how should I get rid of them? The ones that I could find I took out of my tank. There was about 10-5 worms that I could find just under the two rocks I lifted [emoji51]
Edit: just noticed I spelt bristle wrong in the subject, my bad!
IMG_6962.jpgIMG_6961.jpgIMG_6960.jpg

It is a bristle worm. The odds of seeing a fireworm out of the Caribbean is extremely low. I've only ever seen one in all my years in the hobby at this point. Most people get them confused as a predator in their system, when they have really large bristle worms from overfeeding...which is also causing the parameter issues and killing off their 'healthy' livestock. Bristle worms are great guys to have around and will tell you exactly what is going on in your tank. They are not harmful, unless you catch a bristle in your thumb.

It is a bristle worm. The odds of seeing a fireworm out of the Caribbean is extremely low. I've only ever seen one in all my years in the hobby at this point. Most people get them confused as a predator in their system, when they have really large bristle worms from overfeeding...which is also causing the parameter issues and killing off their 'healthy' livestock. Bristle worms are great guys to have around and will tell you exactly what is going on in your tank. They are not harmful, unless you catch a bristle in your thumb.

Ok thank you so much! I do catch myself over feeding sometimes so maybe that’s why some were larger then others lol. There are no issues with any of my fish or coral or invertebrates so looks like they are in the clear to stay!

Good thing, because it is borderline impossible to get rid of them. Fish like a 6 line wrasse will eat them, along with arrow crabs. They make traps for them...but once they are there they are pretty much always there.

Back
Top Bottom