Fire eel question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guinness

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys.

I brought a fire eel three days ago, he settled in fine and seems really happy, he feeds from my hand already and is not shy at all.
My question is this. I have read that you can feed them earth worms from the garden. Is that safe to do? Is there anything in a garden worm
That could harm my fire eel or contaminate the tank?

Any help would be appreciated thanks. ;-)

Thanks for the info. Salamanders wow your fire eel has a good appetite lol. I have heard that some people dig there worms up straight from their garden, sounds a bit risky to me that's why I wanted to make sure. Mine is eating frozen bloodworm at the moment but I want to vary his diet a bit. Can you recommend any other foods for my fire eel?

I don't have an eel, and it might be different for them, but if you are harvesting worms from your yard/garden make sure there are no pesticides that have been used.

i second that there could be some toxins in the garden if you use ferts and stuff i just pay $4 bucks at petsmart for a small tube of 45 to 55 red wigglers which are small earth worms that my tire track eel enjoys plus my fish eat them to

Abstract since your like the eel expert on here could I feed a peacock eel earth worms, frozen blood worms, and shrimp pellets for his main diet? Is there anything else I should include? Im going on vacation soon and will probably get one when I get back. :)

abstract373 said:
i second that there could be some toxins in the garden if you use ferts and stuff i just pay $4 bucks at petsmart for a small tube of 45 to 55 red wigglers which are small earth worms that my tire track eel enjoys plus my fish eat them to

Ah I didn't realise you could buy them from some shops, we have a petsmart here in Worcester so I will pop in and have a look. Thanks for the tip much appreciated. I would feel more confident feeding those than garden earth worms.

no expert still learning as i go but you can try all frozen like krill mysis brine shrimp and so on live i feed black worms ghost shrimp red wigglers and the bugs i catch around the house

I never had any success with anything other than worms, my fire eel might taste other foods but then would spit them right back out

same here my tire track is wild caught not tank raised so it only eats live food...you should look into black worms i beat your eel will love them there not like blood worms there very thin and brown about an inch long ...i put mine in a feeder cone and the whole tank has a feast on them and if any fall to the sand well the hunt is on ......

abstract373 said:

We don't have a petsmart here in England I have been to the pets at home store and the pets for you store but they don't sell them. I might have a trip to the local fishing tackle and bait store tomorrow and see what I can find.

its about the same tire track is 28 ish fire eel is 24 ish peacock is 12 ish and zigzag is 36 ish in size but these sizes are what they say for tank raised they can be larger...

with all this talk about eels the past few days i went to the lfs for plants and it caught my i a lovely 4inch peacock eel...long story short its in the tank stashed away in its new world

My peacock eel will only eat live giant earthworms from my lfs. He wait till it buries it's self then he goes and hunts it!!

Check this Fire eel out!
It was my first tanks previous owner's, when he passed, it was given to me. He loved this eel so much, he had it taxidermied (sp)!!
Honestly, it kind of creeped me out, but I didn't have the heart to say no. Now that I've had him close to ten years, I can't get rid of it, feel it would be disrespectful to the late owner. He's just my garage buddy, as my wife won't allow it in the house! Lol
Saw the Fire eel chat, and had to share. :)

Back
Top Bottom