Firemouth Cichlid tankmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFingers

Aquarium Advice Regular
Tank 4ft 55g medium planted.
Eheim 2128 pro 2 thermo filter.
Pea sized gravel.
Ph 7

4 Firemouths (3in)
1 Pleco

I was looking for some recommendations on a tank mate. Preferably people who have some experience would be apreciated.

I only want to add another 4/5 fish and leave it at that. The new tank mate should fully grown be 6in max.

Anything other than silver in colour please.

I don't think I would add another cichlid to that mix. My firemouth is fully grown and seems to be getting more aggressive. Since yours are only 3 inches, they are bound to get more aggressive eventually. :roll: How about a school of tiger barbs? My barbs and firemouth ignore each other, and the barbs are colorful and active. A school of 6-8 would look nice. Do you know what sex your FMs are? You may have trouble with any tankmates if they start to spawn.

My firemouths were relatively accommodating to any tank mates until they spawned. Then they guarded their territory - but only chased fish that didn't give them room, and not to any sort of length.

I'd suggest large tetras or schooling fish like the barbs. Don't try little tetras (mine chomped on a school of 10 small lemon tetras :() but black skirt, emperor, or congos would look good.

I might try the green tiger barbs.

I thought the Firemouths won't spawn until they mature to 5in or so?

This is my first cichlid tank attempt. I was told firemouths were not as aggressive by the LFS.

I don't know if I have a female how do I tell.

Thanks for replies

FishFingers said:
I thought the Firemouths won't spawn until they mature to 5in or so?

I wouldn't bet on it. When I was a teenager, something possessed me to buy two baby Jack Dempseys for my 10 gallon. After a few months, when they had grown to only about 3 inches, I had a tank full of babies! Yes, this really happened in a 10 gallon! 8O

Back
Top Bottom