fireplace conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koi-ninja

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello i am new to this form. I am very interested in my fish tank and now my parents are starting to get the bug as well. We want to turn our old fireplace into a tank. I have looked around and can't find anyone who has done this before. Its a gas (fake) fireplace that a part of our entertainment center. It has a glass pannel all around and a solid bottom aside fron the gas vents. Any idea how I would go about this conversion? Thanks for looking. Ps. We are doing a freshwater tank

Hello i am new to this form. I am very interested in my fish tank and now my parents are starting to get the bug as well. We want to turn our old fireplace into a tank. I have looked around and can't find anyone who has done this before. Its a gas (fake) fireplace that a part of our entertainment center. It has a glass pannel all around and a solid bottom aside fron the gas vents. Any idea how I would go about this conversion? Thanks for looking. Ps. We are doing a freshwater tank
Uhm, you would need to put an actual fish tank in there, if you're asking if you can fill the fireplace up, it would be a challenge. I would need some more accurate details.

By the way, Welcome to Aquarium Advice!:)

I would like to fill the actual fireplace if possible but if its out of the idea ill put a tank there. And ill get more details and some picts up soon. Thanks for the help!!

It would depend on what kind of silicone they used to seal it. And is the bottom floor of it glass? I would think that the silicone used is toxic and would need to be scraped off and re-apply a water safe and non toxic silicone. If you have an alternative tank to fit in there, it might just be better.
I'll be waiting for additional information and the pictures:)

These are a few picts of were we wanna put it.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130331_204938.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130331_204938.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 135
  • ForumRunner_20130331_204958.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130331_204958.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 113
  • ForumRunner_20130331_205009.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130331_205009.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 127
A lot of things are gonna have to be done, re-adding silicone(re-sealing) since i doubt the sealing material used is non-toxic, a thorough cleaning, possibly another glass panel, also, I have high doubts about this. Here's why, aquariums have tempered bottom glass, not the special fireplace type glass, and thick side glass. Also, I am not sure this is pressure resistant.
Get me back with some more info:)

Well I did some poking around and the fireplace is NOT sealed already. The brick inside can come out but I am unaware of what is under it. I would be ok with just putting a tank inside Instead of making it onto one. We just wanna keep the "shell" so it looks real. But here's the problem it measures 36" x 24" x 24"

Aquarium Sizes and Weights Chart There are the charts. In my opinion, the best choice to make it the most realistic would be a 65 gallon, a 55 gallon or a 50 gallon. 30 or 40 gallon will also work, a bit of a downside on the realism if you pick those though.

Well I did some poking around and the fireplace is NOT sealed already. The brick inside can come out but I am unaware of what is under it. I would be ok with just putting a tank inside Instead of making it onto one. We just wanna keep the "shell" so it looks real. But here's the problem it measures 36" x 24" x 24"

Make your own aquarium:p!

Back
Top Bottom