First african cichlid setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cdowns11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all this my first post and I am currently getting ready my first larger tank which I plan to stock with about 12 or 13 cichlids and a bristle nose pleco just wondering if you had any thoughts or ideas of what I could do to get goin the best way possible

Specs are...
Two tetra 30is just came with the kit plan to upgrade soon
Two 18 in bubble curtains
An air stone might ad another
And a 200w heater

Attachments

• image-4044420751.jpg
    image-4044420751.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 148
Also, not too much air. It can stress them out because it might scare them. It's good to have a little to help with gases, but you don't want your fish to be in an environment that has too much moving water. I have two standard air stones in a 50 gallon. It seems to be a good balance.

You don't need air stones, bubblers at all IMO only reason I have one is the wife likes it and ya gotta keep the wife happy even though I unplugged it already lol.

It's a 55 and I thought Africans liked a lot of current also I thought backgrounds were optional more for looks than anything

Thanks like I said first shot at a bigger tank didn't know lol

:welcome: to AA! We hope ya enjoy :)

What size tank is this? Saying Cichlids is just a general statement, do you know what Cichlids your going to do Asia, african river,SA,ca, rift lake Cichlids? This will help us all on giving you info.

African though i haven't really decided on specifics yet looking for a lot of color really like bumblebees though and it's a 55 gal

It's a 55 and I thought Africans liked a lot of current also I thought backgrounds were optional more for looks than anything

They do like a lot of current, but you accomplish that with some good filtration and some powerheads, not air pumps and bubbles. The background will give your tank more depth. It will look better, you don't need one.

I used to have tetra filters, but i changed over to aquaclear and marineland emporer filters.
Idk if u like them or not, but mine took up a lot of space in the tank, and i really like my emporer 400, and aquaclear filters.
And they put out a decent flow of watet which for africans is a plus

I just reread my comment

And it was a bit confusing
I was saying that tetra filters took up alot of room in the tank.

Bumble bees won't work they get to big, at less you only want to keep a couple of them then it would probably be ok.

Ya wasn't sure just liked the look like I said but ill prob just get so average run of the mill 6 inchers to start out

As for the filtration I do plan to upgrade at least one of those tetras I absolutely hate the bulkiness of them they are just what I had and I'm not made of money lol

O and thanks for the advice one the bubblers I deff will not add anymore and will turn down/remove them if the fish show any sign of stress I just really liked the idea of the bubble curtain lol

I bought an emporer 400 for $50, and free shipping on amazon.
Its an awesome filter for the price

I was looking online and found a few for a good price just waiting for payday lol and do u have any suggestions for the fish I just want a few diff types ie 3 or so about 4 each of them 1 male 3 female just looking for as much color as possible while still making the little guys and gals happy

Back
Top Bottom