First aid kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KMH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do any of you keep a first aid kit for your fish? What is in it?
When quarantining new fish is there any point in treating with broad spectrum antibiotics, anti fungals and anti parasitics to kill any sub acute infection before it shows symptoms?

Asking about a first aid (and whats in it) is a great question!!! I dont have a 'first aid kit' per say but i do have a small collection of items just in case. A qt tank (filter is on my main tank), aquarium salt, and antibiotics. I suppose i should have some anti-fungal/parasitic meds around as well but i have yet to encounter a major problems (knock on wood!) and i rarely purchase new fish. The two fish i have purchased in the past few mths have stayed in qt for 3-4 weeks to make sure im not introducing any potential disease to my main tank. There are various schools of thought on whether to proactively treat a qt fish thats not obviously sick-some people do, alot do not. I have found (so far...) that if the fish is healthy, comes from a reputable & trustworthy dealer, and is qt for a sufficient amount of time to rule out possible disease, proactive meds really are not necessary. Just my opinion though! :)

Back
Top Bottom