First attempt diy need advice: 72 gall aquarium stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate to start this again BUT, DONT PUT FOAM UNDER THE TANK. Tanks are made to rest on the frame that goes around them. It can cause them to break.

Ok sounds good to me lol. I can understand that. I do wanna put a top on mine though. You guys probably get the same stupid questions over and over I'm glad to get the real info from you guys!! Def. A novice here and it's information like that that I appreciate the most!

if you want a top, cut some 1/2" or 3/4" plywood and either have it flush with the top of the stand, or recess it to cover the top of the trim at the bottom... one of mine is made so the tank sits about 1/2" below the top of the stand and has a sheet of 3/4" plywood under it...

From some of the stands I've seen, some people use mdf. I'm not sure about its tolerability to water though, because I've heard both sides.

Also, (once again 3rd hand) I've heard that you should not use foam with glass, since it is supported by its frame, but with acrylic, it's supported somehow differently. Maybe someone else should confirm this though.

Do not use MDF. If wood gets wet it will swell and splinter but can be reasonably sealed. MDF if wet will decay and crumble. Not a good thing with 1000lbs on top.

Also, (once again 3rd hand) I've heard that you should not use foam with glass, since it is supported by its frame, but with acrylic, it's supported somehow differently. Maybe someone else should confirm this though.
The AQ is designed to hold the weight you put in it. Be it glass or acrylic

They only recommend foam to be installed under Acrylic tanks and it's suppose to be a thin layer at that.

well here it is so far, i hope these links work. im stuck on how to do the doors though... its nothing fancy but better than 300+$ lol...

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy112/gobucks1111/020da3b4.jpg

imma try to find the side...
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/atta...022103_0_da19b506ab6021c7e781d46fa63ae556.jpg
img_1022103_0_da19b506ab6021c7e781d46fa63ae556.jpg

thanks! first project of this scale ever really, so im chocking all the imperfections up to a learning experience. can you buy prefab cabinet doors ar lowes and places like that?

awesome i will check lowes tomorrow. home depot didnt have any today :( hopefully done and ready this weekend!!

update! now i just need to finish it, got conditioner, stain and a nice type of poly for the top...

img_1023118_0_99808fc96625e382912d4adb3c300eee.jpg

Back
Top Bottom