first attempt on breeding ghost shrimp. wish me luck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boostedtegg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Went to a tropical pet store and picked up 24 ghost shrimp. Lucky enough I have four emails that already have eggs. So I just separated them from the males. So hopefully we soon will have more. If anyone has success on breeding then can help me that would be great.

Hey,
I currently have a pretty healthy batch of ghost shrimp in my 25g tall. I picked up a bunch (about 22 total) a few months ago and was able to maintain about 7 out of the hole lot. But out of those i have had three batchs of babies.
One thing I can say is that if you have any fish in the shrimp tank that ever goes near the surface then move them. I lost about 15 fry the first three days after the first females gave birth to a betta, I thought that I had enough plants at the top of the water but I did not.
I have read alot that states fry or baby shrimp like Java moss but I have yet to see any babies near the moss. For the most part they stay at the top of the tank.
And last thing, if you dont have a pre-filter on you filter intake, get one. after the fry change into the mini version of the parents they will start to get around more. I see the small ones climbing all over my pre-filter collecting all the missed food.
Hope this helps.

On a side note, ghost shrimp love blood worms. Live ones make for the best show!

maddybrat said:
Does anyone know if ghost shrimp will hunt and kill live fish?

Only fry fish...they'll stand on like a high point(usually rock) and wave their arms out as the fry swim by and snatches it....this happened to my guppy fry as I tries to save it, the shrimp retreated into a cave

Only fry fish...they'll stand on like a high point(usually rock) and wave their arms out as the fry swim by and snatches it....this happened to my guppy fry as I tries to save it, the shrimp retreated into a cave
omg i did not know that! thats intense. haha poor little fry...

Does anyone know if ghost shrimp will hunt and kill live fish?

My Amano shrimp only pick off very weak fish. Literally pounced on a dying swordtail I had. Other than that, they dont bother fish.

Back on topic, Im starting a shrimp tank in a few months, will buy the nano tank next week and have it cycle then get shrimp in August. So will also check in to see how its going with your breeding and ask for advice if I need it.

Hey,
Just an update of a "what not to do"
I moved my stock of glass shrimp, about 20 or so, into my 55g and during the rebuild added an extra heater.
I thought everything was set and good to go but when I measure the temperature I found it was sitting about 80. some of my shrimp had turned red and died. as soon as I drop the temperature back down to 76 I have not seen any more issues and all the shrimp are alive and active. 78 degrees and 80 degrees seem to be a bit too high for the american glass shrimp.

I have a 20 gal planted with about 20 ghost shrimp. ldaniel is right, between 74 and 80 and they will be fine. My tank has only plants, an otto, an apple snail and shrimp. I heard somwhere that having a snail is important. Don't ask me why, but there it is. I just recently found an itsy ting (think mosquito) shrimp amongst the rocks and java fern. sooooo cute!!

Attachments

• Sandra20gall 1.jpg
    Sandra20gall 1.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 91
Back
Top Bottom