First coral tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

becca22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have a biocube 29g with just a goni and mostly fish. My fuzzy dwarf lion fish is my favorite :3
BUT I am starting my first coral tank out of a fluvial 12g with the glass removed at the top with a razor blade (it comes with a 3"x4" opening :confused: ) and I am making a 10g sump. I have cut 4 plastic pieces to make 4 chambers, and am doing my research on how to make that flow into and from the tank haha.
-I was wondering 3 things, what bio media do you best suggest for each sump's chambers? or at least the ones that require media.
-And for the live rock can we drill holes to hold the frag pieces perfectly? Or would it fall apart? Because I tried coral before, but didn't modify the fluval's opening and it was a pain to always have to move the coral frags back into place.
- Also I was wondering some good stocking options. I was thinking 2 small clowns, clown goby ( I love them), and what else would that tank be capable of?
Thank you so much!
Becca
:fish2:

I literally have a whole bag of lava rock in my sump. Despite it being kind of controversial in the hobby for both fresh and saltwater. It's worked very well for me for the last year. You could look into a marine pure plate. I always wanted to try one of those.

I'm sure you'll get many different suggestions.

As for the rock. I drill mine frequently but I wonder if different types of rock hold up better then others. I have reef saver rock from BRS and it's very dense and it hasn't split yet. It really makes placing frags easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So it really just goes based preference? Because I have a giant tub of matrix I need to use haha.

I guess I can try drilling into a small-ish piece and see if it breaks. If so I can keep the rubble. Do many people use the aquarium tack to keep coral in place?

I once had these clownfish that were so mean to me anytime I would put flesh in the tank. I really hope the next clownfish I get are mean >.<

Back
Top Bottom