First Dirted Tank.. Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trickerie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,

I've recently set up my first dirted tank. Here are some quick stats:

Tank: 25 gallons 19" height
Lighting: 2 dual bulb t5 fixtures
Substrate: expert gardener potting mix capped with safe t sorb
PH: 7.6
KH: 5d
GH: 5d

Now to the issues. I'm not seeing any new growths for the most part, and the few newer looking leaves on the swords are going brown/yellow. My water wisteria totally rotted away in a matter of days. It turned to mush. My other stem plants seem to be takin the same route. My moneywort seems to be branching up a little bit, but the leaves on the bottom are brown and falling off. Some of the newer leaves seem to be taking the same path. It's disheartening because I really wanted to succeed in this, but none of my plants seem to be doing anything but dying.

My soil is as close to 1" as I could get it. The capped layer is only enough to keep the soil down.

What can I be missing? Is my lighting insufficient? Is it too much? What can be causing my stem plants to just rot away and die?

I'm open to all advice and suggestions

Thank you

I simply spread it around and removed any big pieces I saw. I didn't mineralized it.

Get on YouTube and look up Dustin's fishtanks and he has list of videos on how to do planted tanks

Back
Top Bottom