First FOWLR Setup at 14!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sawyer_Peyton18

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I am 14. I would like to setup a 55 gallon fowlr tank. ( At lowest cost possible) The Tank and Stand we're giving to me by a friend for free. What else would a need and what is good to have? How much is setup cost and how much will it be for monthly maintenance? Thanks in Advance!!

Hi I am 14. I would like to setup a 55 gallon fowlr tank. ( At lowest cost possible) The Tank and Stand we're giving to me by a friend for free. What else would a need and what is good to have? How much is setup cost and how much will it be for monthly maintenance? Thanks in Advance!!
First research,research,research this is a good place to start: Saltwater - Aquarium Advice and there are some good books on Amazon.com and in the library.YouTube is a good resource too.
2nd don't rush it because that is when mistakes are made and money is spent needlessly.
Now to answer you question unfortunately its not going to be inexpensive to start up.The good news is you have the tank and stand which is a good start.
1.test kits this is to make sure the water is safe for the fish
2.an ammonia source(uncooked shrimp or pure ammonia) to start the nitrogen cycle to establish biological filtration
3. lights(if they didn't come with the tank).
4. 2 100 watt heaters (2 to 3 watts per gallon) which will help to evenly heat the tank.
5. power heads for water movement but again what type of tank will determine what power heads you will need.
6. either base rock or a combination of base and live rock. You will need to shop around to get good pricing.
7. Sand for this you need to decide what type of fish because some fish require a small grained sand like sand sifting gobies.
8 A smaller tank( 10 or 20 gallon) for quarantine for new fish. Which includes a heater,some type of filtration not live rock, PVC pipe for the fish to have a place of comfort.

Hope this helps :) Good luck!

Don't use well water.It will cause all sorts of algae and water parameter issues.If you can't get an ro/di unit I would buy distilled water and a tds tester to test the water(water needs to have a reading of 0). You will also need a refractometer to test the salinity of the salt water(1.26 is the one most suited for fish).

you can get ro/di at most grocery stores that have water machines .50 cents per gal or buy it from the local pet store. .75 cents per gal

buying water this way after about 4x you could have bought a ro/di for the home

salt is about $60. for a 200 gal pail

power heads X3 $45. or so

heater $30.

live rock / base rock $3.99lb X 55

sand $40.

lighting $200.

good hob filter $50.

these prices are just estimated

fish / inverts ect vary in prices

$450/$500 should get you started

and like said above research first this isn't a cheap hobby

good luck

I'm in it over $10,000. and I still spend tons

you can get ro/di at most grocery stores that have water machines .50 cents per gal or buy it from the local pet store. .75 cents per gal

buying water this way after about 4x you could have bought a ro/di for the home

salt is about $60. for a 200 gal pail

power heads X3 $45. or so

heater $30.

live rock / base rock $3.99lb X 55

sand $40.

lighting $200.

good hob filter $50.

these prices are just estimated

fish / inverts ect vary in prices

$450/$500 should get you started

and like said above research first this isn't a cheap hobby

good luck

I'm in it over $10,000. and I still spend tons

Thanks! How should I setup a quarantine tank?

Back
Top Bottom