First Nano Reef! Joey's Fluval Spec V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok guys, so I'm relatively certain I'm doing a rimless cube. I got the spec and I can't stand the look of it next to my 60P. I'm finicky. Lol. As I eventually want to venture into SPS, do you guys know if I can run a cube with just circulation, live rock, and sand? No filter for chemi pure or anything like that. I know it can be done but can it be done with SPS?

Mine is starting to do a lot better since I established a set routine... I only have a couple LPS, thought, no SPS...

Here's what I have to do with my 5g since it is overstocked...

Feed small pinch of flake daily
Feed frozen every 3rd day(rinse thawed frozen food well with RO water)
2g water change every 3rd day
Top off daily

Cyano was wanting to come back since we added the fish, but since I've started this maintenance routine, sand is almost spotless. Just started it last week though, so things should get even better over time. Last time I tested, nitrate was down to 0 and phosphate was between 0-.25.

Ok guys so I finally made a decision. I'm going with an 11.13g TruAqua Rimless Cube! An AC30 or 50, not sure yet. Sticking with everything else.

Ok guys so I finally made a decision. I'm going with an 11.13g TruAqua Rimless Cube! An AC30 or 50, not sure yet. Sticking with everything else.

Awsome! I didn't know they made a cube that size! I might make that my upgrade! Gonna check them out right now! Sounds good Joey, I'm looking forward to the build! :D

Awsome! I didn't know they made a cube that size! I might make that my upgrade! Gonna check them out right now! Sounds good Joey, I'm looking forward to the build! :D
i was just thinking about the Mr. Aqua 7.5 and then I remembered
Aquatop! It was the perfect size. Thanks, bill. :) I'm gonna order it today.

Alright here's a little update!

I ended up going to the LFS last week to get some fish, and I saw an Evolve 8 on sale for 35$. I had to get it.

I have some extra change now from this Christmas and I though I would look into a controller system. I like the idea of getting a Reefkeeper lite to control the temp, Ph, and lighting. I just don't know if it's worth it, though. Anyone have an testimonials for these? It would be money for live stock and other goodies if not a reefkeeper. I think I'm going to set this thing up this weekend.

How do you suggest doing so? I planned on black sand and dry rock with a couple pounds of cured live rock to get it going. I don't want to introduce any pests.

As for live stock, thanks to Bill, I plan on a shrimp/goby combo. I'm gonna check out some stuff Saturday at the LFS. Last time I saw a beautiful ORA Black Ice Clown for $49.99, and was so tempted. I don't know how it would fare in an 8 gallon nano. I want to the bioload very low because coral is my main focus.

I'm going to make a refugium with some chaeto in the first chamber. I'm going to split it into three chambers, so in the first will be Chaeto, second will be a Filter pad, Chemipure elite, purigen, and maybe phosguard,

Merry Christmas! Well, late. Haha.

Ok so I finally got this thing cycled. I added the first inhabitants tonight. A bumble bee snail, a blue leg hermit, and a radioactive dragon eye zoa frag. That's what they were labeled as at least :hide: I was so tempted to get more but held off. My Ammonia and Nitrites were at 0, and my Nitrates are around 5. I need to test Phosphates tomorrow. I plan on adding a nitrate removing pad and I adding chemi pure and purigen tonight, too. The Zoas opened up fully in about 30 minutes after acclimation. So far, so good! I will restrain myself from all the nice SPS frags. They had so many so cheap.. Next week I will look into more LPS and Zoas. I want a cool torch or frogspawn, and I saw a cool orange galexea frag.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/79195-albums13696.html

I posted a link to my album. Of it doesn't work, I'll fix it.

@Bill- yeah man I completely forgot about this thread! Haha. And the tank is an evolve 8.

Haha! Oh well. Thanks, Bill. I came home and all the polyps were closed so I looked closely and saw a small sea spider. Got that out and dipped the coral just in case. It opened right up, fuller than before. Nitrates are about 5, Phosphates are 0, Ammo and Nitrite are 0, and Ph is holding steady at 8. Not too bad! How's your reef coming?

That's exactly what it was. I thought I had a tick in the tank. Haha. Once again today, everything is good.

Back
Top Bottom