First Nano SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks good wish I had painted the back of my tank now lol

If you can reach the back it's never too late! Lol just be careful with the rollers, I only just noticed the hundreds of drops that splashed on my wall behind my tank... Got most of them off but can't reach the rest so I'll have to clean it when I upgrade right? Lol

Painting is done! I like the look of it and can't wait for the corals and fish to come in. Tank is filthy and it's been hard restraining from doing a WC but tomorrow I'm gonna siphon whatever gunk the shrimps left and get my water crystal clear again. I also think I have hair algae that's starting to grow on my live rock. Here's some pictures and a before and after.

You don't need the lights on during cycle so you can take it off and that will slow down that algae.

You don't need the lights on during cycle so you can take it off and that will slow down that algae.

I know but it's so hard not to stare into the tank lol anyway two more days before I move in my first inhabitants.

Water change is done and I have my QT finally. Readings are good and nitrates went down to around 5-10. Going to pick up some cerith, nassarius, and turbo snails tomorrow. Here's some pictures of everything.

Attachments

• image-1680959536.jpg
    image-1680959536.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 70
  • image-3634887331.jpg
    image-3634887331.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 81
I think this is going to be my next equipment purchase. I'm going to use live rock rubble in the compartment instead of media though. I'm also going to go with a mesh hood rather than glass and of course the 120W LED fixture. I'm planning these purchases once my tank has been stocked and matured for corals!

http://www.truaqua.com/aquatop-power-filter-pf-uv-15.html

Snails are acclimating. I ended up getting 2 chestnut turbos, 3 bumblebee, 3 nassarius, and the lone margarita that was left. They didn't have ceriths unfortunately.

Attachments

• image-3575403244.jpg
    image-3575403244.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 84
Snails are acclimating. I ended up getting 2 chestnut turbos, 3 bumblebee, 3 nassarius, and the lone margarita that was left. They didn't have ceriths unfortunately.

i would take the bubble bees back, and wait for ceriths, if they get hungry enough THEY WILL KILL your other snails ive seen it first hand.

i would take the bubble bees back, and wait for ceriths, if they get hungry enough THEY WILL KILL your other snails ive seen it first hand.

Yes, I've read this and have done some research and came up with people swearing by them and others saying they killed other snails. Most were sick or weak though and I've also read that there may be different species of bumblebee that aren't distinguishable as some act as full omnivores and other carnivores. I will keep an eye on them though.

Yes, I've read this and have done some research and came up with people swearing by them and others saying they killed other snails. Most were sick or weak though and I've also read that there may be different species of bumblebee that aren't distinguishable as some act as full omnivores and other carnivores. I will keep an eye on them though.

cool, cant go wrong with keeping a close eye on em,

So far so good. A few are still clammed up but others are on a roll already. One nassarius is pretty much completely in the sand bed, one of the turbos started eating away the second he got in the tank and the margarita as well. Might pick up a few more margaritas along the way.

Attachments

• image-2210669771.jpg
    image-2210669771.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 82
  • image-3586187993.jpg
    image-3586187993.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 87
  • image-3640691046.jpg
    image-3640691046.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 86
  • image-3326990854.jpg
    image-3326990854.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 82
  • image-2191605681.jpg
    image-2191605681.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 83
So far so good. A few are still clammed up but others are on a roll already. One nassarius is pretty much completely in the sand bed, one of the turbos started eating away the second he got in the tank and the margarita as well. Might pick up a few more margaritas along the way.

Looks like they got their work cut out for them lol

Looks like they got their work cut out for them lol

Lol definitely! Finally something to watch as well. If all goes well I'm going to pick up some hermits on Sunday and my two clowns for my QT. I'm having déjà vu writing that for some reason lol sorry if I posted that already.

Uh oh lol one of the bumblebees wasn't moving and was still clammed up since I added him yesterday so I went to pick him up to smell him and he fell in a hole/crevice in one of my live rock pieces. I can't see him but he can definitely get out. My only worry is if he is dead he's gonna cause an ammonia spike. He didn't smell when I added him yesterday though. I've read that snails can go dormant for up to 3 days?

Everyone else seems to be fine except one of the turbos really isn't moving a lot but he's opened up. I put him on the glass and he just kind of hangs there without eating or anything. The margarita is by far the powerhouse, I mean, the other turbo already did his turn around the tank but I'm gonna post a picture of how well the margarita has been cleaning.

Attachments

• image-3091172530.jpg
    image-3091172530.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 90
This is the turbo I'm worried about

Attachments

• image-3921409323.jpg
    image-3921409323.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 95
Now that turbo is on the sand bed half closed up but not grabbing in to anything

Not much to update but the tank is doing well but unfortunately one of the turbos died and the bumblebee that fell into the LR still hasn't moved so I'm assuming he's dead as well. I removed the turbo but I couldn't remove the bumblebee as I can't reach it.

The quarantine is ready, I painted the back and two sides black and picked up some prazi pro and cupramine. Just a question though, what are your quarantining routines?

Trip to the lrs tomorrow! They just got new stock so I'm going to pick up my pair of clowns, 6 blue leg hermits, and a few more snails, most likely 2 more margaritas and 2-3 more nassarius. Unfortunately, I have had 3 deaths. The bumblebee that fell in the crevice, the turbo that was sick/weak, and a nassarius that I found upside down and was too late to save.

Apart from that, everyone else is thriving. The 2 remaining bumbles are in a new spot every time I look at the tank and they haven't tried to eat another snail lol. The turbo has literally cleaned 3/4 of my live rock. The nassarius disappear into the sand bed and appear every now and then. And finally the lone margarita has been on the same rock since I got him but has been eating (and pooping) like a mad man.

I'm really excited for tomorrow. My first saltwater fish!

Clowns are currently acclimating! They were from the same tank and are all huddled up together :) I picked up 2 more margaritas and 3 huge nassarius snails. Also got 6 tiny and I mean tiny blue leg hermits. Any idea where I can get some bigger shells for them? I mean they're so small maybe a cm or 2.

Attachments

• image-1084888470.jpg
    image-1084888470.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 104
  • image-3351897703.jpg
    image-3351897703.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 112
  • image-362270066.jpg
    image-362270066.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 118
  • image-1119902099.jpg
    image-1119902099.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 115
Clowns are currently acclimating! They were from the same tank and are all huddled up together :) I picked up 2 more margaritas and 3 huge nassarius snails. Also got 6 tiny and I mean tiny blue leg hermits. Any idea where I can get some bigger shells for them? I mean they're so small maybe a cm or 2.

looks good, your lfs store should have extra shells my lfs give you a few bigger ones with a purchase of 2 or more just ask, and the clowns should look really good in the tank post pics when everythings in!

Here are the critters in their tank! I couldn't really get a good picture of the clowns since I don't have a light in the tank but I had my flash from my phone on for a while and they were really social coming to the from of the tank and swimming in the current of the filter.

Attachments

• image-97380539.jpg
    image-97380539.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 101
  • image-4139645537.jpg
    image-4139645537.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 102
  • image-2223669539.jpg
    image-2223669539.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 114
  • image-3975600003.jpg
    image-3975600003.jpg