first PWC with fish-in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDDad

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm preparing to do my first PWC since getting fish.

I think I've solved the "cold water" problem I posted about prior, however, have other concerns.

1. I collected RO water due to the nitrates being a bit high out of the tap (around 13-20ppm), but then realized, it's probably too soft for my livebearers!! The pH is only about 6.4 even after sitting in a bucket for 36 hours.

2. I thought about a 50/50 mix of RO and tap, the tapwater goes through a calcite neutralizer, which probably adds some "hardness"...is that a reasonable expectation? Tank water settles at about 7.5 pH after 12 hours no matter what I put in it.

I realized pre-fish that right after a PWC the pH was much lower, mid 6's, but raised back up to 7.5 within 12 hours...now that there are fish in there I'm concerned.

3. My gravel vacuum sucks - I can't even suck up poop and debris without sucking the entire substrate into it, and then it just throws crap all over the tank, only taking about half up in the vac!

I'm preparing to do my first PWC since getting fish.

I think I've solved the "cold water" problem I posted about prior, however, have other concerns.

1. I collected RO water due to the nitrates being a bit high out of the tap (around 13-20ppm), but then realized, it's probably too soft for my livebearers!! The pH is only about 6.4 even after sitting in a bucket for 36 hours.

2. I thought about a 50/50 mix of RO and tap, the tapwater goes through a calcite neutralizer, which probably adds some "hardness"...is that a reasonable expectation? Tank water settles at about 7.5 pH after 12 hours no matter what I put in it.

I realized pre-fish that right after a PWC the pH was much lower, mid 6's, but raised back up to 7.5 within 12 hours...now that there are fish in there I'm concerned.

3. My gravel vacuum sucks - I can't even suck up poop and debris without sucking the entire substrate into it, and then it just throws crap all over the tank, only taking about half up in the vac!

even if your pH is high, pH is mostly dangerous when not consistent. do not shock your fishies with water of a different pH value. if you want to mitigate the pH and bring it down, you will need to patiently introduce pH balanced water over time.

I am fine with the "native" 7.5 pH, but my water is never that high going in. Should I add pH up to the "new" water so it's closer?

Otherwise, how do I ever do a PWC? Even a 25% change would drop the pH some once I add the new water.

My tap water, whether RO or not, is lower in pH than the tank is (I think the substrate and rocks raise it somewhat).

If I bring it up w/pH Up, in the new water bucket, will it be TOO high eventually?

I am fine with the "native" 7.5 pH, but my water is never that high going in. Should I add pH up to the "new" water so it's closer?

My tap water, whether RO or not, is lower in pH than the tank is (I think the substrate and rocks raise it somewhat).

If I bring it up w/pH Up, in the new water bucket, will it be TOO high eventually?

i'm not extremely proficient on pH, but i do know that swinging its values are very dangerous. Where i live i have the complete opposite problem where the pH in my tap water is very high.
i do know that using pH balancing chemicals can cause issues if not used meticulously.
sorry i'm not if more help, hopefully someone with more experience in making pH HIGHER can respond and give better advice

My only other idea would be doing more frequent but smaller PWC's so it has less of an effect...

Haven't done the WC yet (tomorrow AM I plan to do it).

I have 2 5-gal buckets, one RO, one tap. The RO water is still 6.0. The tapwater has moved a bit and is now 7.2 pH after sitting out 36 hours.

Whatever is in my tank bringing up the pH from there is a mystery, it has to be either my rocks or my substrate - even pre-fish, if I filled with water that bypassed my neutralizer (low 6's native pH) it went up to 7.5.

My concern is, if I do alter the RO water with some pH up, will that cause the eventual pH to be EVEN HIGHER than 7.5 once it's in the tank a while?

I don't read about others having this issue with water changes.

BTW - when doing water changes and dosing w/Prime (or similar) - I put the Prime in the NEW water. My question is...do I dose it for only the volume of water being added, or the entire tank?

Follow up question: Does Prime accumulate in the tank over time and lead to buildup of anything bad?

Back
Top Bottom