First SW specimen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rogersjw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I just thought I would see if anyone had any opinions on the idea of introducing a coral banded shrimp as my first specimen to my 55 Gallon SW tank. This is my first tank. I've been curing for about a month and have 0 nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia... a steady temp (79F), a steady salinity (1.023), and steady PH (8.2) - Am I forgetting anything?

As far as I've been able to read coral banded shrimp are pretty good tank mates and won't be too much for a first specimen.

This will be a FOWLR (I have 55 Pounds of rock, about 50/50 LR and Base). This may be a dumb question but I just thought I would get an opinion before I did it. Not sure why I want to do it, but I'm just really cautious to buy the first fish just in case I missed something... My first fish will be a pair of clowns in case it makes a difference. Just thought I would give the system some bio load to see how it responds I guess. Thanks for any help!

This is just what i have heard since i have never owned one but they can get quite large and as they get older they can get some what aggressive. I've heard of them snapping at other fish and inverts. If you have a sick fish or something it will probably try to make and easy meal of it.

That aside i would probably not make it your first. I've found that shrimp are much more sensative to changes in water chemistry and water quality then fish are. clowns in particular are very hardy. They power through a lot that normally stresses out other fish and inverts in my experience. I would get the clowns first.

They are very cool looking. I had one in my 72g reef, it was a nasty guy to smaller fish and other shrimp. They are very territorial and will defend their home turf.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom