first sw tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqh88

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've wanted sw for the past 2years but couldn't accomplish it. This year I might. My original plan was a low tech, low cost 20g fowlr. Like 1 neon goby and 20-30lbs of rock. A maxijet 300gph powerhead and a 330gph filter lacking the biowheels. The only thing that would need upgrading is the lights.
However I do have an empty 55g but if I include protein skimmer, more than twice the rock and salt mix, more filtration... it ends up nearly 3 times as much money which I currently don't have. I also live in an apartment(basement floor with concrete though) so eventually this tank is going to be moved. I'd much rather move a 20g with ~30lbs of rock than a 55g with 60+lbs of rock.

Will the 20g long setup work and can you put a dsb in a tank that low? Is more rock or more space better?

If I did go with the 55g can I get away with very low stocking, no protein skimmer, and add half the rock next year? Also hob filters are probably not enough on a 55g so I'm assuming I'd have to buy another canister. Is an all-glass stand enough to hold up the 55g? They don't look all that sturdy...

I can buy stuff slowly over time and I have patience but I don't have the cash flow or savings(I'm only 20) to set this all up at once.

You may also want to try base rock instead of live rock. Its much cheaper and you can buy small cheap corals and let them grow in your tank while letting the coraline algea spread (purple stuff). This is what I have done and it is MUCH cheaper. Plus, you can watch your tank grow.... If you go the base rock way, you could get by with 1 or 2 hob filters. Right now all i have is a powerhead and a penguin power filter on my 30 gallon w/ live sand and everythings going great! Good Luck!

I want a sw tank for the live rock and inverts. Fish with live rock is not really accurate. More like live rock and a couple fish. The only fish that even interest me are gobies and firefish. The more and varied live rock I can get the better because without the live rock I'm not going to bother setting up a tank.

Back
Top Bottom