First try at saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really like the redsea kits over the others. They cost a bit more but are easier to use and read.

Thanks y'all. Gonna grab an API kit for the basics & probably Red Sea later. I like the spreadsheet idea Tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There is also a couple apps out there that will chart graph and tell you the ideal result range. The app is free for one tank and like 2.99 for logging an unlimited number of tanks. It is called Aqua planner pro. It also lets u put alarms and such to tell you when to do water changes.

Thanks y'all. Gonna grab an API kit for the basics & probably Red Sea later. I like the spreadsheet idea Tree.

Sounds like a good plan. I'm happy with my kits and since I'm no computer jock, doing that spreadsheet with very little help and only one four letter word, it was well worth the beer after lol.

There is also a couple apps out there that will chart graph and tell you the ideal result range. The app is free for one tank and like 2.99 for logging an unlimited number of tanks. It is called Aqua planner pro. It also lets u put alarms and such to tell you when to do water changes.

I have seen the apps previously that you mentioned. On my device, the "lite" version was a buck with no reviews at all and the "pro" version is $2.99 with 6 reviews. 3 hated it, 1 thought it was good at first but then boring, and 2 were only days old. Honestly, not worth it IMO. If you need to buy something that has an alarm to tell you when to do a WC, you (and the fish) would probably be safer with a pet rock. Also, technology has a tendency to fail. Nothing beats pen and paper.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Not to be a hater but saliferts kits are better :D :p

Thanks BG. I installed the lite version. Looks like it will be pretty helpful until I can get into the habit of doing all the tests & water changes.

I've read good things about Salifert, but man they're pricey.
Me: "Happy Valentines Day. I got you a $100 worth of water test kits."
Wife: "..."

Lol does the Red Sea kit do alk, calcium and magnesium too? Like as in you don't have to buy separate test for each.

Bribo in your opinion Salifert > Red Sea as a reef tester & keep the API for the basics?

I believe they are separate test kits (the Red Sea ones). At least the ones I have are all separate. Salifert is good too. I still prefer Red Sea.

Bribo in your opinion Salifert > Red Sea as a reef tester & keep the API for the basics?

Yeah but that's just my opinion lol. Both are quality kits and I think similar prices for alk, mag and calcium.

If those don't trip your trigger, there are always the hanna checkers as well. And sadly, all calcium test kits have somewhere around 9000 steps.

Those are nice. Does the importance of the elements being in a reef tank warrant that kind of price? Or is it just ease of use?

Those are nice. Does the importance of the elements being in a reef tank warrant that kind of price? Or is it just ease of use?

They're IMO the most accurate testers. The calcium one is to complicated but the alk and phosphate one are fantastic.

Yes treeman that's what I meant lol

Got my LEDs hung (they are now turned back off)ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423605982.001744.jpg. Had to angle them a bit. The joys of a small house. So the shrimp I put in didn't really dissolve as much as it shredded into tiny pieces that are now floating around clouding the tank.

I agree on the Hanna checkers. Particularly for PO4. Very nice way to test. Pricey but worth it. I have used one for a few years.

Back
Top Bottom