Fish acting weird!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big_al01

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 10 gallon planted tank has a male and female swordtail and a balloon Molly! They we're put in about 3 weeks ago and here for the past week the male swordtail and balloon Molly have been acting weird? Everything in my tank (test wise) is good! I did have a spike in ph the other day could that be it! I have no idea why they are acting like they are. Kind of just laying at the bottom!

A spike in pH? Do you mean a crash? Unless you add something that increases pH, it doesn't normally go up.

No it did go up it was around 8 then it went to 9 or above!

The rapid change in pH is likely the culprit. Regular C02 fertilization helps maintain a steady pH in planted aquaria.

My bad, I noticed some green spit algae on my Anubis nana so I removed it and didn't think much off it. Then I was watching my fish and they were acting very strange so I tested my water and it was bright red which means 9+. But I tested again the next day without the Anubis in there and it was back to normal but my fish are still acting abnormal!

My bad, I noticed some green spit algae on my Anubis nana so I removed it and didn't think much off it. Then I was watching my fish and they were acting very strange so I tested my water and it was bright red which means 9+. But I tested again the next day without the Anubis in there and it was back to normal but my fish are still acting abnormal!

What else have you added new?

I was actually looking into that and thinking about it! But now after all of this I believe I am going to!

Did you use bleach to remove the algae?

I threw the plant out bit I took a cutting and re planted it

You planted an anubias? Do you have under gravel fertilizer of some sort? Or sand?

No tied it to a rock my bad didn't mean to put planted!

Clearly, something happened in the process of your plant removal and replacement.

My guesses:
Bleach contamination from your hands or the rock or something
New rock introduced, limestone
Pocket in substrate was disturbed

That's all I've got. You tested ammonia/nitrite/nitrate as well as pH, right?

I just cut the good leaves off the plant and put it back on on a rock that was already there

Back
Top Bottom