Fish and earthquakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
We Portlanders are slowly recognizing we are truly in an earthquake zone ... I'm sure there's a point past which there is little that can be done to prevent losing a tank, but what are a few of the things that may make the difference in moderate quakes?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

How interesting! Did you come across any ideas?

I did wonder if a connected metal brace on all edges of the tank would help.

I did wonder if being in a new, more earthquake proof building would be the best chance.

Else I looked at edge bracing if in a house. Geez, I don't know - if the tank survived would you trust it??

Greetings from California, where "earth surfing" (aka, living with earthquakes) is the official state sport! :dance: :hide:

When a truly large one hits (6+), there's not much you can do. I will say I once read a post at The Krib from a guy whose marine reef tank went through the m5.9 Whittier Narrows quake in 1987 -- tumbling live rock hitting the interior of the glass and everything. Amazingly, the tank survived. So, anything can happen. :eek:

For more moderate quakes, my concern is the shock wave rocking the tank and stand so it tips over: the tank/stand combination tends to be top-heavy. (For that reason, btw, I only buy stand with a lip around the front and sides, to reduce the chance of a corner sliding off.) In the 1994 Northridge quake, a friend's 55g tank flew off the stand she had it on and exploded on impact in the living room. Don't know if a lip would have prevented that, but it might.

For stand stability itself, you might try sandbags in the cabinet, just to counter the weight of the aquarium.

Like I said, nothing will help in a truly big one, but the right kind of stand and counter-weighting might help in lesser events.

BTW, Portland is only now recognizing the city is in a seismic zone? Where do they think all those lovely mountains, including the volcano Mt. Hood, came from? The whole West Coast is an earthquake zone: it's just that the PNW has been less active in recent centuries. :ermm:

Wow - so the tanks hold up well under the earthquake until er, nothing is holding them up underneath from the stand? I had thought the sloshing was worse case that might pop a glass panel but I see it could be worse :)

(There are stories here of panels popping out which is where I got the idea from).

Wow - so the tanks hold up well under the earthquake until er, nothing is holding them up underneath from the stand? I had thought the sloshing was worse case that might pop a glass panel but I see it could be worse :)

(There are stories here of panels popping out which is where I got the idea from).

Top-heavy aquaria have been a recurring nightmare for me. :shocked!:

I think they can survive most moderate quakes as long as they aren't torqued in two directions at once.

My ideal, of course, is a 3D-printed, all one piece tank. :brows:

Top-heavy aquaria have been a recurring nightmare for me. :shocked!:

I think they can survive most moderate quakes as long as they aren't torqued in two directions at once.

My ideal, of course, is a 3D-printed, all one piece tank. :brows:

Ouch - that sounds like nightmare material. I was thinking the glass would give way first (not the glue/cement)?

Back
Top Bottom