Fish are itching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russrimm

Aquarium Advice Activist
OK we just lost a red zebra today, he was bloated looking and laying on the bottom a lot before he died. Now I'm seeing another one of my african cichlids itching his side on the bottom gravel (kinda swimming along and then twirling to slide his side against the gravel). Am I having a parasite problem? What do I need to do??? I'm assuming they're all going to get it. The zebra had a hole in his side by the time we found him (he was only left alone for 8 hours) so who knows if they ate the insides or what, but now another one is acting itchy... HELP :(

well itching is external parasites. but QT him now hope that they won't all get it don't just assume. Tankgirl just suggested a broad-spectrem antibiotic for another fish that was doing the itchy thing but you really don't want that in your main tank as it will kill your bacteria colonies. I'm not sure if it's applicable but I think given you just lost one I'd go ahead, QT, and medicate.

see thread:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=37232&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

What about aquarium salt? Would adding 13 tablespoons help or harm? My tank is 65 gal. It only has african cichlids, a spotted catfish and a pleco.

I don't think it'll harm them provided they are all salt tolerant but if it's external parasites I don't think it'll do anything...if it's fungal (nothing I've heard of) it might by dehydrating the spores. I'd follow Tank Girl's advice...her advice helped bail me out when my fish were dying like crazy.

The salt might help stress levels in general provided you don't have any in there already... but it's not a fix all.

Salt works against external parasites such as ich, but 13 tablespoons will not register for the fish. The osmotic difference will be very slight.
You said your fish was bloated. Africans are prone to "Malawi bloat" often due to improper diet. Add blanched, peeled peas to their diet once a week or so to help food pass through their system.

*woot* HI Menagerie. The one that was bloated has since died and wasn't rubbing up against things, or at least that wasn't one of the listed symptoms.

I saw that it died, I guess I should have simply asked what russrimm is feeding the Africans.

Two things could be occurring within the tank--bloat and a parasite. We need to get to the bottom of this. What are the exact water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?

0 nitrites 0 ammonia 2.5 nitrates

We're feeding them cichlid flakes about 4 times per week (once a day) and small cubes of brine shrimp the other 3 or so days. We hadn't been feeding them peas lately, but started again yesterday. We occasionally put a zucchini strip in for the pleco as well.

So how much salt should I add to this 65 gal tank? I assume all the cichlids wont mind. What about the pleco and some breed of a spotted catfish?

Do I dissolve the salt first in a bowl of aquarium water or just pour it straight in? The instructions say 1 TBL per 5 gal

Increase the African's veggie intake. Mine love zucchini, peas, string beans and cucumber.

Salt directions are funny some say 1 teaspoon per gallon to one tablespoon per gallon. If you want to stay on the safe side, go with 65 teaspoons (I'll leave the math up to you :))

Back
Top Bottom